User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 16:42:34
Print Post

FTTC - BT 21CN to Zen's network

[link to this post]

I'm moving from IDNet's FTTC after 18 months or so to Zen's mostly due to IDNet's peak bandwidth being on the low side (80GB) and their unlimited package is very expensive, whereas Zen's 200GB is as good as unlimited for me.

Out of interest does anyone know how BT's network connects into the ISP? I'm in Leeds where Zen have a POP (http://www.zen.co.uk/about-us/our-network.aspx). As such would I be connected from BT's core in Leeds straight to Zen's Leeds POP and then via their internal network, or is it likely BT will connect elsewhere in the country, such as London before handing over to Zen?
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 19:57:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC - BT 21CN to Zen's network

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

Hi there,

This web page has some good information about the connection between BT and the ISP.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/BTCentrals.htm

Paul

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

Edited by Ripley (Mon 30-Jan-12 19:58:18)

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 20:49:53
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Would be interesting to know what BT centrals Zen have, maybe that is confidential information however...

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zen_ijg
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-12 21:45:33
Print Post

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

Ubernick - On a FTTC connection in Leeds you will connect to our network in Manchester.
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Tue 31-Jan-12 12:23:02
Print Post

[re: zen_ijg] [link to this post]

Just to add,

Leeds circuits will always head to Manchester regardless as posted by Zen_ijg, and other WBMC circuits will connect to either Manchester or London depending on their location and will be fixed to either at the time of order.

~Edited for clarification~

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Edited by Azzaka (Tue 31-Jan-12 13:54:02)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:12:33
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripley:
Would be interesting to know what BT centrals Zen have, maybe that is confidential information however...

Just to add to the info on Kitz, the connections from 21CN are referred to as hostlinks and run at either 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps or higher and are delivered over fibre Ethernet.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to