User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nrms
(member) Sun 12-Feb-12 19:55:58
Print Post

NetFlix UK & Zen Internet

[link to this post]

Are Zen throttling Netflix UK Instant Streaming?

I joined the 30day UK Netflix trial and in anticipation of increased streaming upped my Zen BB service to Zen Pro (100GB per month).

For two weeks, the Netflix service has been excellent, easily playing HD films in HD mode with no buffering delays during the film. For the last two days however, SD streams are smeary and HD films are not playing in HD mode. According to SpeedTest.net I have a solid 7.35 Mbps connection from Zen.

So my question is why has the Instant Streaming suddenly become so bad as to be virtually unwatchable? Are Zen throttling Netflix, or are Netflix throttling me, having decided that I have streamed enough for free.
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 21:23:04
Print Post

Re: NetFlix UK & Zen Internet

[re: nrms] [link to this post]

Same problem here. The other day I watched a film in HD. (15 meg connection here). Now HD isn't coming through and the quality looks more like sub DVD quality. frown
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 22:33:50
Print Post

Busy pipes? Sunday is known as the busiest day.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 23:12:46
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

You know, it's for this reason that I wonder why they (NetFlix that is) don't offer a similar service to BBC iPlayer where you can download movies, store them locally, then have 7 days to watch them locally without any fear of buffering issues. All this could be DRM managed to prevent copying.

It would certainly suite the likes of me who have a low tariff period between 2am and 6am - it would be possible to transfer these high-bitrate streams during those hours so as not to eat into my monthly usage allowance too much.

Streaming in principle is great, but if the infrastructure of the ISP can't handle it during peak times (and I'm pointing the finger at BT exchanges here, not necessarily at the ISP), the whole NetFlix gimmick becomes a bit futile really.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Mon 13-Feb-12 10:31:33
Print Post

Hi,

Zen don't do any throttling - so it's not due to any action from us. I've only used SD streams on Netflix myself this weekend but they worked without problems and were good quality (well, as good quality as you might expect Army of the Damned to be wink).

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-12 11:55:58
Print Post

Shhhh

Richard Tang and I have a 'bet' from 2007 whether all TV services would be delivered over IP or not, within 5 years.

smile

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Standard User nrms
(member) Mon 13-Feb-12 12:21:56
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

Well I left it an hour and tried again and it was back to normal. I was able to watch "Fighting" in HD happily buffering and playing back at 3.6 Mbps; and looking excellent quality on my Dell L702x (xps17) lappy.

Rumours on line are that NetFlix do throttle streaming bandwidth of users they deem to be using too much bandwidth on their "unlimited streaming" package. So I will have to keep an eye on them.

I only became concerned because at the time when the NetFlix streaming quality had become so poor, the SpeedTest website confimred there was nothing basically wrong with my BB connection - as I was able to download solidly at 7.35 Mbps.
Standard User Pontefract
(committed) Mon 13-Feb-12 12:53:17
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SkyFire:
Hi,

Zen don't do any throttling - so it's not due to any action from us. I've only used SD streams on Netflix myself this weekend but they worked without problems and were good quality (well, as good quality as you might expect Army of the Damned to be wink).

ta,
Phil.

It's a quality flick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THV1KkPXIxQ

And yep, it streamed perfectly on Netflix - no throttling happening at Zen's end.

--
Paul Simpson
Standard User techguy
(committed) Tue 14-Feb-12 18:37:36
Print Post

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alewis:
Shhhh

Richard Tang and I have a 'bet' from 2007 whether all TV services would be delivered over IP or not, within 5 years.

smile

And of course owning an ISP he bet that they would be so its probably time to get that money ready.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User CutieCakes
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 19:17:57
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I loved being with Zen but found them too costly in the end.
Mr Tang needs to really update their services a little!

--------------------------------------------------
TitanADSL Broadband Fibre optic service
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to