User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(learned) Thu 23-Feb-12 16:20:28
Print Post

fair enough speed?

[link to this post]

Have just run the speed tester and get 3121.84 Kbps down and 368.17 Kbps up and this on Zen Lite.

Not being technically savvy, are these reasonable results for my £20 a month?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-12 16:26:35
Print Post

Re: fair enough speed?

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
are these reasonable results for my £20 a month?
How long is a piece of string? Or more pertinent, your line to exchange?

To answer that post your router stats: How to get your router line stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 23-Feb-12 16:29:15
Print Post

I pay what works out at £3.75 a month for double that speed! Your router stats would far more useful, Attenuation in particular would be almost Key to your question.

Edit beaten to it while I did my sums...

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 23-Feb-12 16:30:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-12 16:29:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

well that's me stuffed? Netgear 814 gives this copy/paste

Unfortunately this router is unable to provide any linestats. frown

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-12 17:01:07
Print Post

Me made a boo-boo which some say is standard operating procedure for bunnies in this burrow

Do not have a Netgear 814, that was the last one. Have disinterred 2011 box & replacement router is a DG834 all-wired job and which is never ever switched off from the BT landline which is twisted-copper on the wooden poles this area.

I tried to run the router checker thingy but didn't understand what I was supposed to do.

The router btw sorts stuff out to my wife's standalone pc or to mine. I pay Zen an additional £30 a year for the router to handle two seperate e-mail addresses so that she gets her stuff and I get mine & no mix-ups.

I do have a paid-for extra usage if I exceed my Zen Lite cap but I don't think I have ever needed same? As octogenarians we mostly cruise the web and do e-mails. The Zen technical help is always brilliant (should it be needed) but the BBC news item now got me in a lather about what are reasonable speeds.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-12 18:42:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
tried to run the router checker thingy but didn't understand what I was supposed to do.
Just click this link: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=stattbl.htm, login to router (Default username = admin, password = password) and copy and paste here what you see it display in your Browser.

FYI: Routers have nowt to do with e-mail addresses; Zen has just reserved two for you on its email server.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User CutieCakes
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:22:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Also paste back results from the BT speed test here http://speedtester.bt.com

--------------------------------------------------
TitanADSL Broadband Fibre optic service
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:51:50
Print Post

Its all about the sync speed you can achieve and if you are getting good throughput on a speed test compared to your sync speed.

If your line syncs at a low rate then this rate would apply to any isp you may use, assuming your line is working correctly.

I find Zen have great throughput at any time of the day on my line.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1792227401.png[/IMG]
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 24-Feb-12 09:22:49
Print Post

Re: fair enough speed? YES YES

Have had a fullsome & mega-fast reply from "Phil" of Zen tech. What he says makes sense, his investigs suggest only a few extra mph possible my line (& not not worth the hassle if I don't need same & I don't). I am linked by furlongs of twisted-copper strung on telephone poles so there!

All is well, at least well enough. Good folk at Zen came up trumps as they always do & before other folk migrate that is an aspect worth considering?

The superb irony of this is the 4-inch-dia green-plastic four-compartment fibre-optic cable duct in my house's pavement. It links universites. Three chambers are empty and the fourth is about one-tenth-filled by a fibre-optic cable. Excavated in untold miles of highway trenching, it goes from Bournemouth to Southampton to Isle of Wight and who knows where else and not one single commercial fibre-optic in it.

I wonder what gov dept had all that on its budget?

Standard User pwhodges
(committed) Fri 24-Feb-12 10:27:03
Print Post

Re: fair enough speed? YES YES

Janet. Janet is funded by JISC

Paul

Edited by pwhodges (Fri 24-Feb-12 10:30:28)

Print Thread

Jump to