User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snurt
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 22:28:01
Print Post

FTTC Installation Query - Openreach Modem Location

[link to this post]

Hi,

I just though I would post a quick question/info regarding Zen FTTC installations:

I have asked the same of Zen CS, but it is late so I don't expect them to reply until tomorrow smile, but replies here may be useful to others -

I currently have an adsl setup as follows:

Master socket in Room A (Installed by BT engineer when I got ADSL with Zen, 1st floor room, not ground)
RJ-11 cable from master socket in Room A to DG834GT adsl modem/router in Room B (10M ish cable)
The RJ-11 cable routes under the carpets through the rooms.

The FTTC requirements section lists:
- 2 power sockets within 1 metre of the master socket.
- A firm surface, or area for wall-mounting the BT modem.

So, where the master socket is currently, there are no power sockets near, nor is there room to sit/mount a modem (due to my toddlers bed/cot being there)

What I have asked Zen is, can the BT engineer not just replace existing adsl faceplate with RJ11 socket in Room A with the Fibre faceplate with RJ11 socket, connect the exising RJ11 (already in Room A) cable to it, and in Room B connect the openreach modem to the other end of the RJ11 cable that currently goes into my DG834GT ?

Also, wrt the firm surface/area for wall mounting:
is this necessary, I dont want cables dropping down my walls, my DG834GT sits quite happily on my desk next to my netgear WND3500 and Draytek 2130n, cant the openreach modem do the same ? I dont want more holes in the walls tongue

P.S.
I did order the data extension kit, but I am unsure if that just extends the data socket (RJ11) to another room within 30m or if it is just a long RJ45 style cable, hence my query smile

Thanks for any info if you have had a similar install, I'm sure Zen will say this is fine, as the engineer wont even have to bend down to connect the new modem if he uses my existing RJ-11 cabling smile

Cheers

Andy

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by snurt (Thu 08-Mar-12 23:05:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Mar-12 23:24:31
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation Query - Openreach Modem Location

[re: snurt] [link to this post]

Does the rj11 cable (rj11 describes plugs not cable itself) use twisted pair cable? If yes then probably happy reusing that.

The data extension cable can replace your current cable if the cable is not up to the job.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User snurt
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 23:35:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
Ahhm ok what I mean by RJ11 cable is the cable that goes from my DG834GT adsl modem/router into the master socket in the other room - it is not the ethernet cable that I plug into my laptop, it is a flat grey cable and has a smaller connector than the ethernet cable - the bits above the carpets dont appear to have any printing on them so I am not sure if the cable between the current adsl modem/router and the master socket is twisted pair or not, but the adsl works smile

The other bugbear is that if it is not, and the engineer needs to use the data extension, I hope he is okay droppping a cable loose behind things - filing cabinets and bookcases etc as the only other access is external and across two other houses back gardens frown

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Andy

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User snurt
(member) Fri 09-Mar-12 14:18:31
Print Post

Hi,

Talked to zen today, anxious not to get a missed install smile

They said the data extension kit extends fibre into another room, and that the engineer wont use my existing cable between the adsl modem and the adsl wall plate (the one with RJ-11 connectors), so I better get filing cabinets moved smile

Either way, doesn't seem to be much of an issue, Zen support friendly as always smile

Cheers

Andy

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User lexden16
(learned) Wed 28-Mar-12 18:27:52
Print Post

I confess that I am a little confused. I spoke to Zen Sales today about a FTTC install and was told that the modem has to be wall-mounted close to the Master Socket. Prior to this conversation my understanding was as above: that is, the data extension cable is used to enable the modem to be located in a room more suitable than, say, a hallway with a Master Socket and no power sockets. When ordering FTTC do I have to request an extension cable/socket or does the installer always have one with him?
Standard User snurt
(member) Wed 28-Mar-12 18:58:38
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Hi,

When I spoke to Zen, I mentioned that problem of where the existing master socket is, and they just added an extension kit to the order - no extra cost. But they also said that you need to have the extension kit pre-ordered to make sure that the BT engineer has the bits (he may have them in any case, but as it cost no extra and to be on the safe side..).

In my case, the BT Engineer simply moved the master socket from one room to another- no extra effort he said as he had to do an extension in any case, so we decided to just move the socket.

The BT modem was wall mounted next to the socket (where I requested it be put for when I moved the desks back smile )

So, the short answer - request the extension kit to be on the safe side to make sure the engineer is aware of an up to 30m extension required (any maybe he will just move the master socket if you prefer).

So long as the powerpoint is close - 1.5m I think (the length of the BT Modem power cable tongue), to the termination point of the extension socket or if the Engineers move the master socket, you should have no problems.

R/E Connection test, as I provided my own router - a Draytek 2130n, I had to configure it, but that was just whack in zen username and password used for adsl, connect the yellow wan port to the BT modem and whoosh, fast speeds smile

Cheers

Andy

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Thu 29-Mar-12 09:19:04
Print Post

Hi,

The data extension cable is an ethernet cable - which goes from the back of the FTTC modem to the router you'll be using to connect with (so allows the router to be placed somewhere more convenient).

The modem itself must be connected by the short cable it comes with to the master socket (about 1 metre). VDSL provides fast speeds over a short range - adding internal wiring (e.g. a long RJ11 cable) has more potential to dramatically affect the speed you'd receive.

Ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lexden16
(learned) Thu 29-Mar-12 11:30:04
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SkyFire:
Hi,

The data extension cable is an ethernet cable - which goes from the back of the FTTC modem to the router you'll be using to connect with (so allows the router to be placed somewhere more convenient).

The modem itself must be connected by the short cable it comes with to the master socket (about 1 metre). VDSL provides fast speeds over a short range - adding internal wiring (e.g. a long RJ11 cable) has more potential to dramatically affect the speed you'd receive.

Ta,
Phil.

Phil,

I am missing something here. This is a diagram that was posted on the BT Care Community site. You will see that it shows the extension cable being installed between the Master Socket and the BT FTTC Modem.

http://community.bt.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id...

Other posts indicate that OR engineers have been using internal wiring to relocate master sockets. How does this sit with what you have written above? Before I place an order with any ISP, I really want to be sure what I am letting myself in for. At the moment, my modem/router is connected to a filtered faceplate on the front of the master socket by my front door. Whilst it is not really convenient, I power it with an extension power cable. I do not have 2 sockets close to the master socket in my hallway. I do have telephone and power sockets in my study about 10Metres of cabling away (around door frames etc).

In truth, I do not need the modem at all as I have a Fritz!Box with a VDSL modem and single cable input for DSL and phone. For the FB cable to work the RJ and phone sockets need to on a single plate or 2 plates close by as it is a 'Y' cable.

Grateful for further clarification. Thanks

EDIT

Just listened again to the BT Infinity installation video and the presenter clearly states ' if you do not have power sockets close to your master socket - then no problem. Your engineer can run a 30M cable from where you can plug in your modem to your master socket.'

Edited by lexden16 (Thu 29-Mar-12 11:38:19)

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Thu 29-Mar-12 13:08:07
Print Post

Yep - my mistake. Our article on the subject in our Knowledge Base was vague in this regard (I've now corrected this).

I believe the member of support you spoke to earlier is raising the issue of the advice you've received from sales to ensure that's clarified too.

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 14:15:20
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

Phew glad you said that, was about to correct you.

In cases where people have used CW1308 spec cable to extend ADSL modem from an existing master socket, if the cable looks good, it is not uncommon for the Openreach engineer to re-use this.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to