User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 15:16:56
Print Post

Reync every few hours

[link to this post]

I've noticed I've been reyncing a lot lately (many entries for LCP down)

When it reconnects sync moves down about 30 bps (over the past few weeks it got up to 3620 but now currently between 3480 and 3520)

Attenuation is steady at 56 following local BT engineering work (lots of Openreach vans round here) and it was 60.5 before, SNR hovers between 5.6 and 7.

Aware of maintenance on 7/3 affecting MK but nothing showing as open at the moment.

I noticed specifically last night about 12.30 as was playing PGA Tour 12 on Xbox live (unsing homeplug adapters) and it reported half way through a round that connection had been lost.

Checked logs again this morning and it lost again around 3.30 a.m.

Using a Netgear DG834G v4 in multimode, had new NTE5 with built in filter fitted last August and using an ADSL Nation microfilter and shielded cable between it and router

Rebooted the router this morning as user interface took a while to come up when I logged in, its adapter is plugged into a surge protector block to power feed should be steady.

Bougnt the router on recommendation at end of 2008, could the router be on its way out?

Some time ago connected a 2-wire 2700 to the line and discovered that apparently the DSLAM is using an Alcatel-Lucent chipset, any mileage in trying to get a router with matching chipset if mine is on the way down?

BTW did not continue to use the 2700 as found it made browsing a bit sluggish.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 10-Mar-12 15:18:29)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 16:36:41
Print Post

Re: Reync every few hours

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
I've noticed I've been reyncing a lot lately (many entries for LCP down)

When it reconnects sync moves down about 30 bps (over the past few weeks it got up to 3620 but now currently between 3480 and 3520)

Attenuation is steady at 56 following local BT engineering work (lots of Openreach vans round here) and it was 60.5 before, SNR hovers between 5.6 and 7.

Aware of maintenance on 7/3 affecting MK but nothing showing as open at the moment.

I noticed specifically last night about 12.30 as was playing PGA Tour 12 on Xbox live (unsing homeplug adapters) and it reported half way through a round that connection had been lost.

Checked logs again this morning and it lost again around 3.30 a.m.

Using a Netgear DG834G v4 in multimode, had new NTE5 with built in filter fitted last August and using an ADSL Nation microfilter and shielded cable between it and router

Rebooted the router this morning as user interface took a while to come up when I logged in, its adapter is plugged into a surge protector block to power feed should be steady.

Bougnt the router on recommendation at end of 2008, could the router be on its way out?

Some time ago connected a 2-wire 2700 to the line and discovered that apparently the DSLAM is using an Alcatel-Lucent chipset, any mileage in trying to get a router with matching chipset if mine is on the way down?

BTW did not continue to use the 2700 as found it made browsing a bit sluggish.
Do you run router stats ? the way to tell if the router is only loosing sync or is power cycling it's self is by the stats it generates if it shows lof or los events then it's not a power issue, usually the power brick will fail before the router, but you can still buy replacement netgear psu's cheaply enough
The lcp bit will be the isp's PPPOA server sounds more like an issue at their end

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 10-Mar-12 16:39:44)

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 17:15:51
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi

Firstly, thank you for your reply.

My PC is crying out for a rebuild which I intend to do tomorrow so will download routerstats then.

I've just done a factory reset on the router and reloaded the settings from a config file so will see if that makes any difference.

Nothing noted on Zen's service alerts about authentication or dropped DSL hostlinks and the last BT event for my area was an upgrade to a node near me on 7/3.

My line is quite long but OR engineer that came said there were no issues with it (he tested it quite thoroughly)

Of course I understand that drops are a part of life with these connections but they do seem a little often.

Zen have always been terrificially helpful and a pleasure to deal which is why I stay so hoping one of the helpful souls will cast an eye over the instrumentation at their end.

I might try and pick up a PSU to replace the one I have to make sure the current is even.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 11-Mar-12 13:41:07
Print Post

Had another drop this morning, I've now set the router to ADSL (G.DMT) to see if it stabilises anything.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 11-Mar-12 15:36:56
Print Post

Well that didn't work, dropped again about an hour and a half ago and again while I was online via the xbox.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 11-Mar-12 16:43:28
Print Post

Have now removed the front plate and am connected to the master socket, no change.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 11-Mar-12 17:48:42
Print Post

Interestingly the cable between the router and filter was lying under some power leads, I've moved the cable away from these and NM has dropped to between 5.6 and 5.8

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sun 11-Mar-12 21:32:39
Print Post

I had very similar issues to you and Zen got it sorted in the end. The router Stats software was very useful and I could see the noise margin and attenuation fluctuating like crazy throughout the day.

I had 6 openreach visits and found after each visit the line returned to normal but only for about 24 hours.

In the end Openreach found 3 faulty joints on the line between the cab and my house. What I did find is that when the engineers were coming to my house the tester they were using was creating a temporary improvement on the line. I put this down to the increased power that the testers use drying out the faulty joints as they did it, but then moisture would set in once again and the problem reoccur.

Anyway my line is rock solid now. Zen just kept reporting in to BT and in the end all of the joint problems were fixed.

The router stats software is great as you can be confident there is a problem on the line and not be cautious about getting a bill for the engineer call out. I did have to change back to my old netgear router as my Draytek wouldnt work with Router Stats.

The whole time I stated to BT that there was intermittant noise on the line, they seem to respond far better to voice problems!

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 09:22:31
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I thought after moving the cable I'd sorted it but alas no.

Just about to ring tech support, checked NM before I left and it had risen to 6.2, I don't leave the PC on while am at work but going to see what they can see at their end.

I will drop in what you said though.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 10:00:10
Print Post

Been in touch with Zen and they can see a definite problem since feb.

Got to change the filter, try a different router and plug a phone in to check for noise on the line but he did seem to think it was BT's doing.

I did mention what you'd said about the joints, he just said 'oh right' and just said to try these steps first.

Looks like another visit from Openreach will be needed. *sig8*

Don't BT know the meaning of the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "just don't meddle"

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to