User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SeekingBytes
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 15:43:50
Print Post

VDSL2 availability in WR52ZX (Two business lines needed)

[link to this post]

I have had a Zen business line for a few years now, and I am happy with their service plus I am very pleased with the doubling of the download cap just recently.

The company I work at is interested in getting VDSL2 lines to replace their slow £16k leased line (...), and after I talked to the sysadmin about my experiences and now the proper office package is practically unlimited (1TB down), he is interested in getting two Zen VDSL2 lines and then bonding them together.

There is only one problem - we cant seem to get it out of BT when the relevant cabinet will be connected to the fibre infrastructure.... however, an actual BT engineer was on site at one point for some other reason, and he said the cabinet was ready!

So, end of story - the business estate is at WR5 2ZX, and the sysadmin is quite happy to go with Zen if they can get some genuine information and then allow us to get the VDSL2 lines in. Are there any Zen staffers here that are interested in taking this up?

Thanks for any help.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 21-Mar-12 16:08:14
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 availability in WR52ZX (Two business lines needed)

[re: SeekingBytes] [link to this post]

Hi, If you call our sales team on 0845 058 9000 or 01706 902 000 they should be able to give you an estimated availability date (providing BT has set a date).

To get accurate information it would help if you have the number for one of the onsite PSTN phone lines or alternatively have the full address.

If all the work to enable the exchange and cab has been completed then I would expect we should be able to provide at least an estimate of when we will be able to place an order for you.

If you havenít done so already it may be worth running the phone number through or speed checker (http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband) the checker will let you know if fibre (FTTC VDSL) is available to order right now or not.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet Partner Programme

Edited by ajays (Wed 21-Mar-12 16:28:24)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 16:30:37
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Cheers for the fast response. Ive just ran the analog line number through http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/business-bro... and VDSL2 will be available on 30/06/2012... however this date is meaningless as it simply rolls over (has been looked at before).

The sysadmin has been able to rustle up some interesting information about the cab - see https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi... , add filter condition 'postcode = WR52ZX' (be sure to use the equals comparison, it is instant that way) - this vindicates what the engineer says that are lines are ready.

Is it worth phoning sales then, presumably I wouldnt be able to get through to you?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Wed 21-Mar-12 17:20:14
Print Post

Give sales a ring, they are a friendly bunch.

Be aware though the cabinet being connected and Wholesale declaring it ready for service (allowing ISPs to place orders) are two different things.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Wed 21-Mar-12 17:21:45
Print Post

if you are looking at the 'deployed' column on that spread sheet and assuming from that 'the lines are ready' then that is not the case.

I believe 'deployed' indicates the process of installing the cabs has commenced, which takes a few months. My post code has been showing as deployed since they marked out the cab position with spray paint last October

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User recusant
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 10:24:57
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripley:
if you are looking at the 'deployed' column on that spread sheet and assuming from that 'the lines are ready' then that is not the case.

I believe 'deployed' indicates the process of installing the cabs has commenced, which takes a few months. My post code has been showing as deployed since they marked out the cab position with spray paint last October

Indeed! My postcode entry has been showing as deployed - a cab has been installed just round the corner, OpenReach guys were working on it three or four weeks ago and the availability date has just gone from 31st March to 30th June!
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 10:29:51
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Yes, deployed and percent lines are the key columns that were concluded from. OK, I will phone up sales now
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 11:54:01
Print Post

Phoned up last week and was given an email address for the Fibre Project Manager - unfortunately there isnt really any more information available and it doesnt sound like Zen will be pushing BT to do its job... so we'll probably go with BT when the cab goes live of its own accord :/
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:06:24
Print Post

Zen have no control over when Openreach deploy fibre. Note that BT internet are just a customer of BT Openreach, they are in exactly the same position as Zen.

You post refers to BT 'doing its job' and there you are talking about Openreach installing the FTTC, and then you say you will 'go with BT' (for your internet service) and there you are talking about a completely different company.

Unfortunatey its just a waiting game, however on the plus side you are one of the fortunate ones to be on the rollout lists

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ripley (Mon 26-Mar-12 20:25:03)

Print Thread

Jump to