User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 24-Mar-12 20:33:00
Print Post

BT OR using PPPoE in areas where FTTP/FTTC are being used?

[link to this post]

When I connected a new router I found that the auto detection was indicating it was a PPPoE connection, I thought this was incorrect so switched to PPPoA and set the VCI/VPI values.

I then spent 30 minutes scratching my head as it would sync but not authenitcate with Zen nor obtain an IP.

in the end I switched over to PPPoE and it worked, it has resynced once this afternoon but is stable.

I had some connection problems since Feb and am beginning to wonder if the two things are related because different encapsulation is being used, perhaps because an engineer forgot to set PPPoA on the MSAN?

Although I did connect a BT 2700 during the troubleshooting and that seemed to connect ok on PPP over ATM.

Just wondering out of curiosity more than anything else.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 24-Mar-12 20:33:51)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sat 24-Mar-12 20:58:55
Print Post

Re: BT OR using PPPoE in areas where FTTP/FTTC are being use

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I've read your post a couple of times, just to be sure. As you have written it, it does appear to be a bit confusing.

Let me just answer one part. The NGA Fibre Based service that Openreach provide (i.e. FTTC/FTTP) does use PPPoE.

Now the confusion. I assume you do not have a NGA Fibre Based service but an ADSL2+ based service? In that case, PPPoA should be specified but I know that PPPoE can be selected in the CPE (the modem/router) and the service will still operate.

I have personal experience of a Netgear DG834G operating quite happily on an ADSL2+ line whilst being set to PPPoE.

What do Zen say? Have you asked them?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 24-Mar-12 22:24:49
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hi apologies for any confusion.

I'm using an ADSL up to 8 Meg service but the exchange is connected to 21CN.

Not bothered support as the service is working but am asking here just out of curiosity.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 00:41:34
Print Post

O.k. No problems.

So with an ADSL service, the modem/router should be set to PPPoA . . . smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 10:33:46
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

While PPPoA is the normal setting, for some years BT Wholesale has supported both PPPoE and PPPoA

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Mar-12 10:44:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It all depends on what the cpe asks for. If it asks for PPPoE, that's what it will get and v-v.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 11:01:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yup

I find pppoa gets a bit better throughput.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Mar-12 11:04:25
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Possibly because the pppoe packets still have to be delivered over a.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 15:55:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

As I said in my original post, it will not connect via PPPoA, sync light goes steady but it will not establish PPP.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 16:06:05
Print Post

Yep just tried again, will only connect with Encapsulation set to PPPoE and Multiplexing set to Logical Link Control (LLC) based

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to