User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fatnbald
(learned) Thu 07-Jun-12 10:04:40
Print Post

A couple of 21CN queries

[link to this post]

The RFS date for the 21CN change shown for my local exchange has been and gone but as it has been showing the same date for some considerable time now it may be just a rough approximation.

Is there any resource on this wonderful world wide web than can show an accurate and real time level of info for my exchange regarding the upgrade status (Old Colwyn).

Once the exchange has been updated is there anything I need to do as an end user such as a regrading via Zen to change my account to the ADSL2+ connection that should then be offered or will it just happen in the background and work to the maximum available speed for the exchange?

Regards
Andy

Fatnbald
Standard User jphilip
(member) Thu 07-Jun-12 20:20:19
Print Post

Re: A couple of 21CN queries

[re: fatnbald] [link to this post]

If you put your phone number into
http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-offi...

what does it say ?

Indications are that the exchange has been enabled (putting exchange postcode in the above offers up to 17Mbs)
If this is the case I believe the next stage is that Zen gets your line moved to the 21CN equipment. At that stage you are still on the 8Mbs sevice but you can then regrade to the ADSL2 service.

How long it takes Zen to move your line depends on several factors but a word with support might help.

To further complicate things some lines are best left on the old service - do you have your current synch speed, SNR and attenuation figures ?
Standard User fatnbald
(learned) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:07:52
Print Post

[re: jphilip] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks for the reply the repsnse to number and post code gir the fiollowing

Estimated Maximum Download Speed*: 5.5Mbps
Line enabled for "up to 16Mbps": Yes

I have consistently had about 7 megs since ADSL max was set up which is promising.

I haven't got a clue how to get my synch speeds, SNR and attenuation figures but I have never had any sort of speed or drop out problems since day one of ADSL (which is probably why these figures have never been sought out) hopefully it bodes good for the line condition.

We are approximately 1.1 miles from the exchange and we are in a pretty low density housing area. I will drop Zen a line and see if it is prime for the change over. Thanks

Fatnbald

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jphilip
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:24:12
Print Post

What make and model of router do you have ?
Standard User fatnbald
(learned) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:34:03
Print Post

Hi

I use a Linksys WAG45GS combined modem / wireless router.

Fatnbald
Standard User jphilip
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 22:30:29
Print Post

I am not familar with that but there are instructions at

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#27
Standard User fatnbald
(learned) Sat 09-Jun-12 08:10:03
Print Post

Thanks for the link, unfortunately my memory of Telnet is rubbish and it refuses to work for me, the window flashes up then closes straight away. Praise the lord we do not need to use it anymore, I hated Dos and it's peculiar workings and Telnet is a throwback to those dim and distance "syntax exact" days!!

I contacted Zen support and as you indicated they can now see the local exchange has now being upgraded to 21CN, however there is now a wait until Zen migrate all their customers on the exchange to the 21CN equipment. Once that has happened we get an email informing us of the regrade option, then we need to apply to have the regrade applied to our account through the customer portal or with Tech support, it still leaves us on the same Broadband contract and price plan.
There was no indication of timescale for this process so it could be weeks or months, who knows, after looking at the 21CN RFS date looming for a few years now I think I can survive a while longer. God knows if fibre will ever cross the border and reach us!
Thanks
Andy

Fatnbald
  Print Thread

Jump to