User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User _TT_
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 17:14:29
Print Post

Zen Fibre and Cisco 1800 Routers

[link to this post]

My exchange has been enabled for FTTC at long last, so I'm just mooching around to see what kit I need to get it working on my Cisco 1841s. I presume I can buy a HWIC-1VDSL, plug it straight into the new BT socket so as to bypass the BT provided PPPoE router? Do I really have to take that router if I order Zen Fibre?

TT
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Fri 29-Jun-12 09:06:44
Print Post

Re: Zen Fibre and Cisco 1800 Routers

[re: _TT_] [link to this post]

Hi,

The service isn't supported without the BT modem - so if you have problems you'll need to be connected through the BT modem in order to investigate them (and for the duration if a fault does occur).

Note - the BT device is just a modem, rather than a router, so if you use the ethernet WAN port of your router to connect (with the router handling PPPoE) you've essentially got the same effect as using a WIC without the expense, with the benefit of not having to swap kit out in the event of a fault - and using equipment BT know should work with their DSLAMs.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jun-12 11:21:33
Print Post

[re: _TT_] [link to this post]

HWIC-1VDSL is not supported in the 1841, so I wouldn't bother. Us the BT provided modem and your spare ethernet port (assuming you aren't using it already).

HWIC-1VDSL specification

wink Comms is hard wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 01:13:39
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

The Cisco 887VA works perfectly nicely with BT's FTTC service via Zen. The throughput is definitely higher than using the supplied Huawei modem and ethernet router.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to