User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 19:32:59
Print Post

Sudden slow down and high errors, cured by power down

[link to this post]

An interesting thing happened on Friday evening, I came to use my connection from my PC (connected via Ethernet) and it was running very slowly indeed.

One of my folks had been working from home all day and had no issue.

I logged into the web interface on my Netgear DGN2200 v1 which responded quickly enough (sync was over 4 meg), I tried to reboot the router through the firmware to see if it made a difference but it didn't)

I also have an Edimax EW-7228APn in infrastructure mode to connect an xbox 360 and Panasonic DMR XS380 Freesat box to my connection (Xbox was off as was the Freesat which is set to check for firmware updates at 6 a.m.) and the link is encrypted with WPA2

I rang Zen support and the guy ran some checks and said that he could see a high error rate that was increasing.

I asked whether I should remove the power for 30 minutes or so and he said no.

He advised me to change the router, RJ-11 cable and filter.

I decided to remove the power from the router for while, I did this and plugged it back in after 10 minutes.

Speed returned to normal (3.8 Megs) so rang again and spoke to the same guy, he ran the checks again and said errors had fallen from 463 to about 20.

So can only think utilisation spiked or there was a burst of noise, anyone else seen similar with Netgear routers?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User bottom_feeda
(committed) Mon 16-Jul-12 10:06:27
Print Post

Re: Sudden slow down and high errors, cured by power down

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Probably a different cause but I had a similar problem on a Draytek after upgrading to the 20M service.

Over a few days the through put dropped lower and lower even though the router reported a steady 10M connection. Power cycling the router cleared the problem only for it to reoccur a few days later. After about 4 weeks the problem stopped occuring.

Ni Dieu ni maitre

Zen Office 8000 for business 7616 down, 768 up

Zen 8000 active for home
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 16:22:30
Print Post

Re: Sudden slow down and high errors, cured by power down

[re: bottom_feeda] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, think there was some work in the exchange a day or two before so it could have been teething issues with the new kit or config change.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to