User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nrms
(member) Tue 28-Aug-12 12:25:41
Print Post

Fibre Installation

[link to this post]

Can anyone explain what the process of upgrading an ADSL installation to a Fibre connection will involve? (or point me to source online where this is described in detail)

I'm particularly interested to know what is involved at the customer premises end.

What if any, modifications are made to the Master socket?
Or is it just a matter of them plugging in a fibre modem to the existing socket?

Thanks
NigelS

Edited by nrms (Tue 28-Aug-12 12:27:10)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:54:34
Print Post

Re: Fibre Installation

[re: nrms] [link to this post]

There are multiple sources that can show this. Look at some of the example FTTC installs, which also have pictures in tghe FTTC section. You can also look on youtube for "bt infinity" e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjpgxth1wY

IanD
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Aug-12 15:47:28
Print Post

The master socket is replaced with an interstitial master socket for VDSL2.
The VDSL2 modem supplied by Openreach plugs into this and should be wall mounted.
Your router will plug into the modem.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:51:41
Print Post

Can you confirm the type of fibre as two varieties

The common FTTC (probably what you mean)

but also FTTP where they install a fibre actually to inside your home.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 17:07:10
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
There are multiple sources that can show this. Look at some of the example FTTC installs, which also have pictures in tghe FTTC section. You can also look on youtube for "bt infinity" e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjpgxth1wY

In the video the guy says 'it looks a bit like an ethernet cable but it's not - it's a data cable.' It's definitely just a standard ethernet cable smile Just to clarify.
Standard User nrms
(member) Tue 28-Aug-12 19:20:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah sorry, I just assumed everyone would assume Fibre To The Cabinet as this is what we have installed in our village. I believe BT have a cabinet on the green at the end of our road.
Standard User nrms
(member) Tue 28-Aug-12 19:22:44
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification, this point did confuse me, and left me wondering what the second box was, that the red cable was connected to - clearly a bog standard wifi router.
  Print Thread

Jump to