User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User birchanger
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 13:05:42
Print Post

Bypassing BT VDSL Modem

[link to this post]

Has anyone any experience in bypassing the Openreach-supplied VDSL Modem?

My Zen FTTC was installed today. I'd seen the page on the Zen site reminding me that a suitable router was needed, but didn't really take it in - after all, it's far from my first xDSL connection and I've always provided my own hardware.

I was surprised to see in the reminder email that Zen sent over the weekend that I needed to provide power and wallspace for an Openreach modem. I've got a Draytek 2850, which handles ADSL/2+ and VDSL (simultaneously, if required).

I emailed Zen to see if I'd wasted my money on the Draytek but they said said no, I'd need it to connect to the Openreach modem. They realised that the Draytek would work directly into the VDSL port but it's not recommended as Openreach provide a managed service and would not then be able to see or update their modem, possibly leading to service interruptions (my paraphrasing). They also said the Openreach man should explain it all to me.

By the time I saw Zen's reply Openreach had already installed the service and called me. The installer had plugged my Draytek in directly, saw that it worked, and told me that I have no need of their modem but he had to provide it anyway.

Anyone know the truth? Would I be best advised to route through the BT modem? I must admit I'd rather reclaim part of my bedroom wall, even if I do have to flll in the holes.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Aug-12 13:40:34
Print Post

Re: Bypassing BT VDSL Modem

[re: birchanger] [link to this post]

Are you using the OR modem? If not, keep it as a spare or for troubleshooting. You don't have to use it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Aug-12 13:40:56
Print Post

Other VDSL2 modems will work, but come the day of a fault, Openreach is likely to only entertain looking at anything if their own hardware has been seen to exhibit the problem.

Once they move to wires-only then things will change, but that is some time away. It is just like the early days of ADSL in 2000 and 2001 when you were supplied with an ADSL modem or router (and some early solutions used three boxes that all needed power)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User birchanger
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:32:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@Batboy, @MrSaffron, thanks for your comments. I'll hang onto the OR one until needed and use the Draytek because I like having a 3G Dongle backup.
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Fri 07-Sep-12 14:07:27
Print Post

The other issue with not using the OR, is e cannot see the line stats from your modem remotely. The testing server will only poll the data from the OR modem.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Tue 18-Sep-12 23:27:31
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

the openreach modem is far better than the 2850's internal modem in my experience, i tried the internal modem for a week then changed back

lower sync and dropped connection with high volumes of traffic

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-13 01:05:56
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Things may have changed since then (i.e. newer firmware)

I run two connections with Zen, neither of which uses the Openreach modem. One uses a Cisco 887VA and the other a Draytek 2850.

The Draytek is on a good line and is currently synced at;

Actual Data Rate 19999kbps up 59614kbps down
Attainable Rate 21045kbps up 59614kbps down

Firmware is 3.6.2_2471201

there are no issues with the line dropping out even with high data loads.

The Cisco is on a poor line but still syncs as well as the Openreach modem.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Mon 14-Jan-13 01:07:43)

Print Thread

Jump to