User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:34:15
Print Post

DNS server issues?

[link to this post]

Hi

I started to notice that Zen's DNS servers were not responding to some queries, this was completely random and I only noticed it as some sites I knew were ok (like my bank) didn't come up.

I am running Windows 7 Pro and the new PC is linked to the router with an Ethernet cable.

DNS cache is flushed and DNS client disabled.

The event viewer showed there was an issue, even placing the IPs directly in the connection settings didn't fix the problem.

Switching to OpenDNS cured it so are there some DNS issues at present?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
ISP Representative Jander
(isp) Wed 29-Aug-12 08:52:44
Print Post

Re: DNS server issues?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Do you have some example addresses that we could check against. At this time I am unaware of any issues with our DNS platform.

Jander.
ZeN Senior Engineering Design Consultant
perl -e '$_=q(print "perl -e \x27\$_=q($_);eval\x27\n");eval'
BMG/TC/TtS - # Rock concert movement number four - the "Behind the Head Leg Stretch". Ready. Go.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(committed) Thu 30-Aug-12 08:18:13
Print Post

[re: Jander] [link to this post]

I'll look in my system event logs when I get home this evening.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 31-Aug-12 14:25:46
Print Post

[re: Jander] [link to this post]

Hello Jander

One it just failed on is www.securesuite.co.uk while I was paying a bill (the site is used for Verified by Visa authentication)

Other ones its failed on are www.halifax-online.co.uk, there are others too but those are the ones I can remember.

Happy to PM you my username if you'd like to take a look at the account.

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 31-Aug-12 14:55:32
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'm no expert but according to www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com www.securesuite.co.uk is down

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet Partner Programme

Edited by ajays (Fri 31-Aug-12 14:56:11)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 31-Aug-12 15:36:35
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

When the cannot find server occurred I clicked the button to skip 3D authentication but the company I use for the other phone line coming into the house apparently insist on this being used.

The domain does not have a homepage which is what I gather that site tests for so it would return as down, the domain is registered to RSA data security

The second time I put the payment through I saw my bank's logo as I should have done and the transaction went through but as I say the problem has been going on for a few days and is quite random, if I point the DNS of the router or my machine at OpenDNS it seems to disappear, I prefer to leave things on auto though as prefer to use Zen's DNS as its 'local' and in the event you were to switch to backup ones with different IPs for example it does not require any reconfiguration by me and as I do software tech support for a living I like to keep things simple at home.

smile

Edited by techguy (Fri 31-Aug-12 15:38:04)

Print Thread

Jump to