User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 17:22:54
Print Post

Short Telephone Disconnection

[link to this post]

I have received an email from Zen saying that they "be moving my broadband service to new equipment within the local BT exchange".

But why will my telephone service be going off at the same time? (My 'phone service is still with BT).

(and why do BT need to disconnect both the broadband and 'phone when Entanet managed to migrate my other line without disconnecting the PPPoA connection?)

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Edited by Sandgrounder (Wed 29-Aug-12 17:31:13)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Aug-12 01:56:27
Print Post

Re: Short Telephone Disconnection

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Your connection is being moved from a 20CN DSLAM to a 21CN MSAN, so the pair will need to be physically disconnected in the exchange and rewired, hence the break to both telephone and ADSL service.

Who your line rental with is irrelevant because the phone signal will not change, your line will end up connected to the same voice port in the exchange as before.

Because the cable goes from voice port -> DSLAM / MSAN -> your home, that's why there will be a short connection.

When you migrated before the change was purely a config change where your port was configured to a different ISP, the physical port stayed the same.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Aug-12 09:38:39
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

OK Thanks. I now understand more about the 20CN to 21CN upgrade.

But the second part of my question still applies. How did my second line (on the same exchange) get upgraded 48 hours ago, when the PPPoA connection has been up for up for 358 hours?

Sorry, I did confuse the situation by saying migrate when I meant 21CN upgrade

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Edited by Sandgrounder (Thu 30-Aug-12 09:40:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Thu 30-Aug-12 10:12:40
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Because it could be that Entanet have been terminating the traffic over a hostlink for a while whereas Zen have been running Centrals (for 20CN) and Ethernet Hostlinks (21CN) side by side.

That is a complete guess not based on any insider knowledge.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Thu 30-Aug-12 10:14:24)

Print Thread

Jump to