User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 14:56:38
Print Post

Can't get on web

[link to this post]

I am not technical. Why am I having so much trouble getting on the (Chrome) web or collecting my (OE) e-mail? I use Zenlite via a Netgear DG834 router normally left on 24/7 but now have to keep on turning off, waiting and then on again. Even then it may be some hours before I again acquire service.

If I try a tracert or a ping it usually times out, or it may fail AFTER the house to exchange hop or there may be hops as long as 90ms

I have sent Zen many screen grabs of these but they tell me they check my status and it is ok.

Is this all my fault? If not, whose? Should I be tasking somebody with getting me money for my service?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 15:33:16
Print Post

Re: Can't get on web

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

If you can put the pictures up onto flickr (hiding any personal information e.g. IP address, name etc) then we can give you a second opinion.

You do mean the DG834 with no wireless, so are connecting using an Ethernet cable? When things do not work can you access the routers internal web pages http://192.168.0.1 ?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 15:41:53
Print Post

Out of my depth here.

Have spoken to Zen today, my equipment is faulty as it cannot manage the new faster speed they have given me for free. Apparently I need new filter and certainly new firmware in my router. Zen tell me that these faster speeds often cause trouble and they have secured my agreement to drop my speed back to what it was before they fiddled with it.

It won't have anything to do with stuff being routed via Manchester instead of London.

Pity they didn't warn me of all this before I asked them to migrate my domestic phone line from BT to Zen --- I have a few minutes ago sent them an e-mail cancellation, I shall stay with BT for voice

If Zen don't get my internet working properly after many years I shalll migrate --- to BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Wed 26-Sep-12 16:26:46
Print Post

Hi,

We don't move people to the (potentially) faster services without it being ordered - basically we wouldn't have switched you to a faster service without being asked to do so. Can you confirm it was definitely a regrade to a faster service? If you're not sure you can PM me your username and I'll take a look.

We do advise that you ensure your equipment is compatible with ADSL2+ and running the latest firmware in our regrade advice, but if you didn't see that before regrading I can appreciate it's an unwelcome complication.

A move of your telephone line service to us wouldn't have caused this issue, as that shouldn't affect your broadband service.

Generally a move to a different service takes around 24 hours - so hopefully you should see an improvement soon, if support have placed the order to change you to your previous service. Longer term it may be worth investing in some more up-to-date hardware though if you're interested in speed improvements.

kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 17:14:06
Print Post

Netgear routers have a webpage that looks like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/reviews/netgear...

can you copy/paste the test from that into a post here. To get to the page the following link should work
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=stattbl.htm

I had a DG834G that I used for years (it was from 2004) and it died in 2009'ish. Some routers just break, others do start to misbehave, so it is possible the router is just getting old.

The numbers above will help us to advise if it looks like Zen has changed your package, which should also be detailed in the Zen customer portal, which if I recall also provides some line history, so you can see historical information too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-12 19:12:59
Print Post

The earlier DG834s originally only worked on ADSL not ADSL2.

Look at the label on it for its version no. (v) than look for it here: http://support.netgear.com/search/DG834v and then download and flash its latest UK firmware.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 21:09:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Even then the way BT Wholesale MSANs are setup an ADSL only device should work even if connected, as it will just negotiate at ADSL only speeds.

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Thu 27-Sep-12 10:14:17
Print Post

Re: Can't get on web, more

Zen sold me a Netgear DG834 (no suffix number shown) the box of which says it does ADSL2+

On responding to Zen headoffice blandishment to switch my BT voice to Zen it was Zen who offered to upspeed the connection, I never asked for it, nor do I even need anything faster than Zenlite.

This clarify anything?

Current status is that as of 0700hrs Thursday offline yet again but by 0930 functional. Am turning router off pausing & on again frequently. It used to be on 24/7 --- I wish nobody had mentioned all-inclusive packages.

Zen have graciously accepted (without cost to me) a cancellation of the migration of my BT voice to Zen voice. Will I have to migrate my Zen internet to another ISP to get stable service?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:17:44
Print Post

As we know nothing despite asking about service stats it is impossible for people to comment on the broadband side of things.

Routers have periodic releases of new firmware and the original DG834 firmware while ADSL2+ capable was not really very solid. So finding the latest firmware for the router and installing that may help.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:50:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
Zen sold me a Netgear DG834 (no suffix number shown) the box of which says it does ADSL2+

On responding to Zen headoffice blandishment to switch my BT voice to Zen it was Zen who offered to upspeed the connection, I never asked for it, nor do I even need anything faster than Zenlite.

This clarify anything?
Yes, it clarifies that Zen have altered your service and now your router is unable to work properly with it.

I think they should provide you with a new router that does work.

I can't imagine they changed your service for any other reason than saving themselves some money.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to