User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 28-Sep-12 09:39:53
Print Post

it IS the router & the new 21CN

[link to this post]

On looking when this problem started I notice a very likely and common cause. You was moved onto the new 21CN network on the 22nd of Sept, exactly when the problem started. We also know that there are known Netgear routers - DG834 v1 v2 v3 and v4's which all display the exact symptoms as you are getting when on the 21CN network.

This upgrade onto the 21CN network unfortunately is not an optional move. The whole country is gradually getting moved onto this new Kit/Network which will then result in the decommissioning of the old infrastructure.

Like I said we have seen problem on almost all DG834v1,2,3,4 routers moving onto ADSL2+. The fix has been to try an alternative router. The DG834v5 has been proven to be one that does work fine. However the earlier versions do not.

The paste above is from Zen's e-mail. So there you have it, buy a new router, well it won't be a Netgear that's for sure!

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 10:31:17
Print Post

Re: it IS the router & the new 21CN

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Either very few people still use those models or the issue is something else really.

My one of first into UK DG834 died before 21CN arrived, and not sure where the DG834G is, probably got donated somewhere.

Some old articles:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/t/385738... (the G was the same hardware, just had the wireless card added)
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1331647
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=28...

So plenty getting it working. I think the reality is that as 21CN (ADSL2+) is running the line closer to what is possible, that some underlying issues are more obvious and this causes issues with your line, RATHER than a generic the DG834 does not work with 21CN.

Not having seen any line stats it is hard to say much more.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:50:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is it not still possible to force ADSL modulation on an ADSL2+ line by setting the router to ADSL?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:53:39
Print Post

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

At least you don't have to go through the pain of migrating to BT.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:57:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Putting my connection where my mouth is II've just set my router (Netgear DGN2200) on an ADSL 2+ line to ADSL.

Now syncing at nearly 5 Meg and throughput of 4, highest I've ever had on this line.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 12:11:34
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Usually is possible if the router supports mode setting

have seen one or LLU MSANs not allow it, but BT WBC MSAN are happy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 12:13:57
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Give ADSL2 a try too, this does not use the extra frequencies but better maths to squeeze a bit more.

The reason why sometimes ADSL mode does perform better, is that ADSL standard is very old and all the bugs ironed out in the code. ADSL2+ seems to have multiple versions with firmware writers tweaking it as they go, routers like the AVM 7390 expose some of these tweaks into the user interface.

ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Fri 28-Sep-12 13:39:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed, set the modulation on the modem and this will only use that type on the 21CN connections.

The MSANS do not force ADSL2+ only.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 14:05:32
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Azzaka:
Agreed, set the modulation on the modem and this will only use that type on the 21CN connections.

The MSANS do not force ADSL2+ only.
So why does the email from Zen say this?
Like I said we have seen problem on almost all DG834v1,2,3,4 routers moving onto ADSL2+. The fix has been to try an alternative router. The DG834v5 has been proven to be one that does work fine. However the earlier versions do not.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Fri 28-Sep-12 15:06:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

A lot of the issues we have seen from the other modems especailly the DG834v1, v2, and v3's come with age. Although they will work with ADSL2+ in most respects the age of the modem and lack of Firmware updates stops them from working on a lot of lines properly.

We have seen the v5 which uses the connexant chipset work well, however we have also seen them work not so well. As I posted earlier in the thread, if Zen sold the customer the Netgear, this would make the modem a Minimum of 6yrs old. Take into consideration the Original Poster has said they are not technical the likely hood of any updates to the Firmware being done are quite slim in my opinion.

If you want a broader overview and not an opinion based on the customers ISP's comments, then I would suggest a query via a search engine or even looking at other ISP websites.

Some modems have not been working at all well, whilst others have been. We have no answers as to why, and we can only give our opinion based on the feedback from our customers.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to