User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevejm
(member) Fri 25-Jan-13 11:02:01
Print Post

Rebooting with fibre.

[link to this post]

With ADSL if there's a problem connecting it can sometimes be solved by rebooting the router. However, with fibre that may not help because the router only controls the network, whereas it is the OpenReach modem that connects to the exchange.

Recently we had a connectiion problem which was only solved by pulling out the phone plug into the master socket and putting it back in again. My question is, should I reboot the OpenReach modem if there's a problem, and, if so, apart from pulling the mains plug out, how do I do that.

PS It was a bit worrying on a train last week when the driver said the lights would go out because he would be 'rebooting the train' to sort out a fault smile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 25-Jan-13 11:35:04
Print Post

Re: Rebooting with fibre.

[re: stevejm] [link to this post]

the router also does the PPP login which sends the line speed data upstream, so there is merit in rebooting the router or disconnecting / reconnecting its WAN session.

A restart of the Openreach modem will retrain to the prevailing line conditions which can also be a good thing. Mains plug is definitive as there's no GUI.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Jan-13 19:03:02
Print Post

Re: Rebooting with fibre.

[re: stevejm] [link to this post]

If it was my line I'd reboot the router via its web interface, so I could see what was going on.

then if that did not produce any signs of life, I'd give the openreach modem a power off, count to ten and a power on. Why count to ten - no idea just my usual madness smile

Saying that if the DSL light was out on the modem that is probably what I would switch off first.

Rebooting the train - pretty common at places like Victoria, was on one before Christmas that was reading out the stations in the wrong direction, confusing for people not used to the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to