User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:04:17
Print Post

Some help from Zen please!

[link to this post]

I have a problem whereby my router runs happily at 6db SNRM with a good sync speed, and then the BT kit thinks that 3db would be a good idea, and whilst my router hangs on to the connection for dear life, I get tens of thousands of Rx CRC errors, and streaming is completely ruined.

I called support the last time this happened, and jumped through all the hoops, but to no avail. I think last time they mentioned a "super-resilient" option that I could take, but I don't recall what this entailed.

It has happened again; this must be the third or forth time.

I'm at 7 minutes uptime right now as I rebooted to try and clear it, and have 12,036 Rx CRC errors.

I really don't want to have to do what I've done in the past, and reboot the router all night long to convince BT that the 3db SNRM wasn't a good idea.

Can someone please, for the love of all that is holy, somehow fix my account to a minimum of 6db SNRM sync?

AP

ZeN Pro
Draytek Vigor 2710n
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:48:49
Print Post

Re: Some help from Zen please!

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Have seen this a few times, many routers will happily run with the 3db snr profile, but others just won't have it, Cisco's seem to give up altogether.

It is possible to have the profile hard pinned to a 6db target, have done it myself, but this has been through my work. Surely someone at Zen could request this from BT Wholesale on your behalf ?

Look on the bright side, if DLM is setting your line to 3db, it must be a very good line ! smile

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Thu 07-Mar-13 10:14:37
Print Post

Hi,

We can change you to a "super-stable" profile which is basically more fussy about the number of errors on a line; so won't try and "improve" it if it's getting a number of errors, and therefore is considerably less likely to put you on the troublesome 3dB profile.

We'd typically recommend against hard banding, as suggested in another reply here - unless nothing else addresses the issue. This is because hard banding won't cope so well with changes in your line condition in the long term (i.e. during a fault condition you may end up with no connection at all, whereas currently you'd see drops but the service would still be usable).

Basically I'd suggest asking Support to put you on the super-stable profile and see how the line performs after a few days settling on that.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Thu 07-Mar-13 10:32:50
Print Post

Hi

Can you please PM me your account details and ill get this looked into for you

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Thu 07-Mar-13 13:23:24
Print Post

[re: mickbzen] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys. Basically at 3db it *can* be usable, but sometimes not, and definitely not if it drops to 2db.

At 6 db, I've only seen variance of 1db either way (5+7).

PM on it's way to you Mick.

ZeN Pro
Draytek Vigor 2710n
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 07-Mar-13 14:03:22
Print Post

If all else fails then consider switching to a Fritz!Box which through the GUI allows you set 3 sliders between max stability and max performance. The 3 sliders are Intended SNR, INP and RFI. I have used the SNR slider in the past on an ADSL2 line and it reduced the max attainable downstream speed whilst at the same time increasing the downstream SNR. Please don't ask me how it does it?
ISP Representative TechiePhil_Zen
(isp) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:32:18
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

As well as the fritzBox, there is also the DMT Tool http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm, The DGTeam firmware for Netgears, and one or two other propreitory and open source tools and firmwares that can all alter the SNRm at sync.

We have made some changes and now hopefully AndyPandy's line will hold steady.
It is hard-set to a 6db margin. This change has been a last resort for the issue and is not something we would usually do.

If you are reading this and considering the possibility of hard-setting, I would recommend looking into the tools posted here - as hardsetting the SNR can cause issues if there are any fluctuations in line noise or external interference. With no DLM to alter the SNR automatically and recover, there is no failsafe when these issues occur.

Phil Barton
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Thu 21-Mar-13 07:44:40
Print Post

[re: TechiePhil_Zen] [link to this post]

All looking good for me right now, thanks!

Unfortunately I have a draytek, and the tools don't work for me. (I started looking at them first!)

Cheers,
Andy

ZeN Pro
Draytek Vigor 2710n
My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to