User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swirus
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-13 12:38:00
Print Post

Leaving Zen

[link to this post]

I love Zen. Their service and reliability are second to none, but given how my usage profile is liable to change when I get FTTC its simply not going to be economical for me to stay. Zen is £38 per month for 200GB bandwidth and 13.49 each for two lines, a cost of £65 before calls. Plusnet would be £47.99 and their bandwidth is 'unlimited'; it drops to £37.99 for the first six months or £31.97 if I pay a year's line rental ahead.

Total saving over the first year is £336. Now I realise that Zen does not have the economy of scale of this competitor, and I also realise that Zen's service is second to none. I understand that these Plusnet are 'good enough' as regards service, and that while unlimited bandwidth probably means throttled or shaped bandwidth, I actually save the best part of a week's basic take-home pay over the first year. It's enough to buy a laptop!

While you do get what you pay for but I would love it if my favorite broadband provider was a BIT more competitive on pricing! It's a shame to part company frown

--
Swirus...
Buy this car to drive to work. Drive to work to pay for this car.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-13 16:53:51
Print Post

Re: Leaving Zen

[re: swirus] [link to this post]

This, almost exactly the same.

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Fri 29-Mar-13 09:49:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by swirus:
While you do get what you pay for but I would love it if my favorite broadband provider was a BIT more competitive on pricing!
The fact is a company like Zen, or for that matter any of the smaller providers (iDNet, AAISP etc) will never be able to compete on price compared to the big boys who in all cases offer economies of scale and, in some cases bundled services such as TV.

What to some extent is happening already, is that they will compete in value add services where the quality of service is paramount. This is more likely to be in the corporate/SME and small business (self-employed) sectors, where such things as ultra reliable hosting and converged comms, backed up by exemplary quality of service will attract a price premium.

A small business which is increasingly dependent on communications is far more likely to be willing to pay a premium for quality of service if only for peace of mind and the security of the business.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Remidizer
(member) Sat 30-Mar-13 11:14:41
Print Post

I have been with Plusnet mae, I did it for the same reason as you are stating, within a month I was pulling my hair out...which there is not a lot of.
Im a gamer, poor pings, really bad lagging in games.
I was connected at 18MB, all I could actually get through the router was 6MB at tops,
After a near coronary with there supprt team...I use that term loosely with them I changed back to Vivaciti.
Where a perfect service has been delivered since.
it costs more, but what a difference

Andy G

Inverness
www.britishsergeantsmess.com

Vivaciti ISP user
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Tue 02-Apr-13 11:30:12
Print Post

Hi

Can you please PM me your account details

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bigbadpirate
(learned) Tue 02-Apr-13 14:19:05
Print Post

[re: Remidizer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Remidizer:
it costs more, but what a difference

This is something customers understand BUT 200gb limit stuck there for 18-24months or pay the duration for the privlage of upgrading? i personally don't come close to using my 100gb allowance at the moment but i did when i subbed to lovefilm and can see my household well outgrowing 200gb within 2 years.

I can't understand how a company like Zen just sit back and allow BT to basically dictate their buisness practices, something that grew them to where they are today in fact - monthly no nonsense contracts for example. if you don't like our service move. How many customers did that kind of attitude generate for zen? BT are basically cutting them out of the compatition in more ways than one. There must be a law against that and if there isn't there should be. If they (BT) provided you (Zen) with a service before, especially if you built your company or part of your company round something they should be obligated to continue doing so.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Tue 02-Apr-13 14:37:58)

Standard User rbw91
(member) Mon 13-May-13 09:55:26
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

I am in the same boat. Been with Zen for over 5 years and they upgraded my 25Gb allowance to 50Gb free of charge, and then further to 100Gb free of charge.

I am at the point now though where 100Gb is beginning to be insufficient and I cant justify paying even more for the next allowance band as its a £9 jump. I cannot justify paying £38 + VAT per month when I could get unlimited from somewhere else for about half teh price.

I don't mind paying for quality, the last 5 years show that. It is beginning to get a bit tight now though. I am definitely wavering.....
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-May-13 18:42:06
Print Post

[re: rbw91] [link to this post]

I thought the same. Moved from Zen to a 3rd party LLU supplier and then bit the bullet and moved to SKY. Have not looked back. Initially had the ADSL2+ service for 2 years and have had SKY Fibre for 5-6 mths. Not had any problems yet.

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 19:05:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by swirus:
Zen is £38 per month for 200GB bandwidth and 13.49 each for two lines, a cost of £65 before calls. Plusnet would be £47.99
Can you be sure that PN will cover 2 phone lines on a single BB package? Orange can't handle them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User swirus
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Oct-13 15:48:27
Print Post

It took BT Openreach 7 months beyond the promised activation date to install the FTTC cabinet in my village and make it live. This was long enough for Zen to come up with their new unlimited downloads pricing structure, so in the end I am still with them and very happy. I don't expect Zen to be the cheapest broadband provider, but with the new pricing it doesn't make Zen an unaffordable luxury smile

Thanks Zen!

--
Swirus...
Buy this car to drive to work. Drive to work to pay for this car.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to