User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 05-Jul-13 09:44:08
Print Post

What is superfast broadband

[link to this post]

What is superfast broadband? It is defined as being faster than 38Mb

Here at Zen I would be very happy to get Zenlite's nominal speed. What is its speed? It is zero at certain times e.g. 0900 hrs today Friday 5th July. We would like to be able to get on the web AT ALL.

Stuff superfast, at times it would have been faster on old-fashoped dialup. GGGGRRRR

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Fri 05-Jul-13 11:41:01
Print Post

Re: What is superfast broadband

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

I've checked, and your line connects at around 5Mbit/s - which it's done reliably for a while and is in-line with what the line should be capable of.

It would be good to get a sense of what speeds you're getting when you have problems - so I'd recommend running a speed test.

Given the line performance is good the best thing to do is look for local issues that could be affecting performance - reboot your router try a different browser or update the one you're using if it's not fully up-to-date. If you have more than one machine check on both - if one is slow then that would indicate the issue is with that computer, rather than the connection.

On the separate point of what speed your line is capable of - you are on an exchange that will support ADSL2+ - and your line should get between 7 and 12 Mbit/s according to the estimates. It also supports FTTC (superfast broadband) and the speed estimate for that is 69Mbit/s, so quite a jump. Before considering switching though, I really think checking for issues on your computer(s) that could be affecting speed would be worthwhile.

kind regards,
Phil Long

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jul-13 11:44:25
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc can also give an estimate based on the router statistics and let people see if some tidying up in the property may give more speed.

But in this case a speed test so people can see actual results, and ensure its not just one site being treacle like.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 05-Jul-13 16:21:55
Print Post

I may laugh because Moira's has been zero today about 0900hrs. But both of ours today at 1600hrs run 4.65 min to 5.28 max and 4.88 given as the overall value. I am not grumbling about our speed when we do get on --- I am complaining that we cannot get on at all.

Since Moira's can bring up OE when the web totally fails, this suggests to my limited understanding that she is getting thru on e-mail but not on the web. That suggests (does it not) that she is OK linking via BT Wholesale to Zen and Zen is linking her for her e-mail --- but not getting web. This surely means that the fault is not in our router, not with Zen, but with your friend and mine --- yes BT?

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 05-Jul-13 16:40:20
Print Post

I am age 84 and have just had a major stroke. How do I reboot my router. I also have picture grabbers of Cool etc but don't know how to put these on thinkbb

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 05-Jul-13 16:59:42
Print Post

Moira tells me the web is fast at 0600, slowing by 0700 and she is dead in the water by 0900. She cannot get on the web whatsoever. Laterin the day it is OK again like now at 1700.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jul-13 17:32:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
Since Moira's can bring up OE when the web totally fails, this suggests to my limited understanding that she is getting thru on e-mail but not on the web.
That's cuz email thro' a POP3 Mail Client like OE is far more economical, in amount of data transferred, than busy web pages.

You can simply reboot router by powering OFF/ON.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jul-13 17:39:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by SkyFire:
try a different browser or update the one you're using if it's not fully up-to-date.
Which browser is it that varies its responsiveness depending on the time of day?

Duh, the age old excuse of suppliers: 1st blame the cust's kit.

The OP is obviously suffering from congestion on your network, as his sync speed is fairly constant.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jul-13 17:45:53
Print Post

No need for picture grabbers; just copy the "Link to this result:" into your post.
e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php?par...

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Fri 05-Jul-13 18:51:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Having read the email sent to us on this topic, as well as the post, the greater detail I had (albeit not matching what the OP has put here) that it happens on one machine, not the other. And I know it's not network congestion at our end. We're not at capacity and we're not seeing issues from other customers.

The reason suppliers tend to look at customer-end kit first is because that's where most issues occur. It'd be a waste of everybody's time if we looked at customer kit first if our/BT equipment was more likely to be at fault; and vice-versa. There's no benefit to looking in the wrong place; the data supports customer equipment/software/setup being the most likely cause of issues so that's where we start. Especially when it appears only one computer on a customer's network appears to experience an issue, and another doesn't.

I definitely agree a browser isn't likely to have time-based issues (lets discount the possibility that some plugin with a scheduled task is at fault), but my understanding of the email was that the time aspect was just simply a case of when the other machine was used. I think the OP has clarified that's not the case though.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to