User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 05-Jul-13 19:15:02
Print Post

Network Expansion

[link to this post]

Could someone please explain in non-technical terms what this means for Zen FTTC customers not connected to an exchange covered by this expansion? I am on the Malvern exchange with the nearest expansion point some 7 miles away at St Peters in Worcester. I should add that I currently get a very stable 76/16 service from Zen so I am not unhappy just interested.

Our 200 PoPs plus another 270 exchange locations will enable us to provide services to at least 6 million UK premises. We will use BT Openreach local loop access to deliver services directly from our owned and managed equipment located in local exchanges.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 06-Jul-13 14:34:37
Print Post

Re: Network Expansion

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

have zen released these prices yet? they dont seem too keen to sell these services or is it one of those "contact us for quote" things.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Sun 07-Jul-13 23:15:00
Print Post

G'Day lexden16,

In non-technical terms, for the quote below, it means we can now allow at least 6million people to connect to us in a similar way to our LLU connections. This means the supplier to them is Zen and OpenReach and not, Zen, BTW, OpenReach.

Hope this helps.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 10:23:45
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Azzaka:
G'Day lexden16,

In non-technical terms, for the quote below, it means we can now allow at least 6million people to connect to us in a similar way to our LLU connections. This means the supplier to them is Zen and OpenReach and not, Zen, BTW, OpenReach.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I think. To put it another way, what does it mean for a Zen subscriber on the WMMAL exchange post your network expansion? Am I likely to see any benefits in (a) QOS, (b) cost or (c) bandwidth allowance or are the benefits likely to be restricted to Zen customers on a Zen/Openreach connection?
(isp) Mon 08-Jul-13 22:44:05
Print Post

Hmm that's a better question. I can't answer it @11pm at night, however I will email a colleague and ask them if they can answer it for me.

I am hoping (as a zen subscriber) that the cost for FTTC would come down across the board, however I honest am not sure.

Leave it with me and I'll find out for you.

All the best,

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative RichieatZen
(isp) Tue 09-Jul-13 13:49:40
Print Post

I have spoken to our Broadband Product Manager and have been provided the following information which I hope will be helpful.

"There will be no direct impact on the service that users on the Malvern (WMMAL) exchange, or other exchanges not included as part of this expansion, receive . However we hope that the benefits of this work will reach you in some way in the near future. As Leo has indicated, this network expansion takes more of the connection between our customers and the internet away from BT Wholesale and puts it into the ownership and control of Zen. Although this takes a lot of upfront investment it will reduce our operational costs over time particularly bandwidth costs.

While this is new we’re still working on finding a balance between passing on these cost benefits to our customers and funding further expansion beyond 200 PoPs. One step has been to cut our fibre optic broadband installation by more than 50% which is available to all current copper broadband customers and new customers whether they are on one of the affected exchanges or not.

To reiterate, the speeds and performance of your performance will be unaffected. As for changes to costs and bandwidth allowances all I can say is that lots of things are under consideration but you will certainly see our products and services evolve over the coming months."
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 09-Jul-13 20:38:23
Print Post

lexden16

[re: RichieatZen] [link to this post]

I am a lot wiser: thank you for such a comprehensive response. Tell me that I am wrong but, in the future, I can well see a divergence emerging in the QOS that Zen offers to its Zen - OR customers compared to those remaining on a BTW connection. I appreciate that this is a Zen business decision but it could result in a loss of some customers. I await developments with an open mind and interest.
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-13 22:17:17
Print Post

G'Day lexden16,

Hope this helps.

So, you have a PoP at Bedford Town, but will this make any difference to the likelihood of getting fibre service on the SMWLS exchange?

--

Brian

Zen Active
(isp) Tue 16-Jul-13 15:22:35
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

Unfortunately we don't own the cabs, only the connections in the exchange. If your Cab is enabled we should be able to provide you with Fibre whether it is one of our POPs or not.

PM your username to Mick or myself and we'll have a look for you.

Kindest Regards,

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:01:31
Print Post

Unfortunately we don't own the cabs, only the connections in the exchange. If your Cab is enabled we should be able to provide you with Fibre whether it is one of our POPs or not.

PM your username to Mick or myself and we'll have a look for you.

Kindest Regards,

No point Leo, my exchange is a Market 1 and I anticipate FTTC could be several millenia away, Bedfordshire BDUK contracts are still not signed.

I was wondering if proximity to Bedford Town PoP was worth anything, it seems it isn't at present.

--

Brian

Zen Active
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to