User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nrms
(member) Sat 13-Jul-13 09:15:23
Print Post

Zen new POP's

[link to this post]

I have seen the map here:

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/default/our-network.as...

and switched across the POP switch to see where the new POP's are. This gives a splatter of dots across country, but I can't make out from this what the actual exchanges are. I thought pointed at a data point might display the Exchange Name in a popup box, but it doesn't.

Is there an actual text list available to read anywhere?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 13-Jul-13 10:30:53
Print Post

Re: Zen new POP's

[re: nrms] [link to this post]

Try This
I got it from one of the comments on the original news item.
Standard User nrms
(member) Sat 13-Jul-13 12:14:20
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks

Must admit I don't usually wade through comments.

Typical, Swadlincote is the closest they are coming to me; what's wrong with Ashby De La Zouch?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:10:15
Print Post

Looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu/zen shows Zen has only 4 LLU enabled exchanges - so what exactly are these POP's ?

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:19:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by nrms:
Typical, Swadlincote is the closest they are coming to me; what's wrong with Ashby De La Zouch?
I imagine BB usage is higher in Swadlincote than in Ashby. Also, looking at the list I notice they include Swadlincote and Derby but not Burton on Trent which has a population of some 60K.

Not surprised at Derby since usage is probably high with the student population, but it seems odd to include Swadlincote rather than Burton which has a much higher population. Friends in the area tell me that Swadlincote had FTTC some 2 years in advance of Burton which seems surprising considering it has 3x the population of Swadlincote.

Edited by Tacitus (Sun 14-Jul-13 10:20:44)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:52:43
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

To quote the Zen wrbsite " to provide leased line and ethernet products".
A simple use would be to provide a high speed link from from an offoce into the Zen POP using a dedicated fibre circuit, such as the Openreach range of ethernet circuits.
They could also use such 'ethernet tails' to provide end 2 end leased lines to connect multiple sites and create a corporate network.
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Sun 14-Jul-13 20:07:57
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

G'Day Ian,

The easiest way to explain the new POP's is by saying that it is not the old LLU design.

Instead of DSLAMS we have installed 200 MSANS, and with this, we have gained the ability to Provide multiple services from one platform. This will include EFM circuits, and Fibre Circuits as well as Leased Lines.

The information that you see on Sam Knows is our OLD LLU rollouts and does not yet include (at time of posting) our new GEA rollout infrastructure.

All the best,

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 21:28:41
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Azzaka:
This will include EFM circuits, and Fibre Circuits as well as Leased Lines.

The above will also answer the question about why some high population exchanges haven't been put on the list while lower population ones nearby have been. It's all about the business services, baby, residential consumer grade stuff has pretty poor margins next to these babies.
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Mon 15-Jul-13 14:45:51
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I think it is more to do with what people are looking for.

More and more are after Fibre services rather than ADSL, and as the Fibre cabs have been installed in some exchanges we can make use of these.

Keep watching this space and as soon as more information is available I'll let you know.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User nbarker
(regular) Mon 15-Jul-13 16:20:50
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

Admitting to not having fully followed this, but what does Zen having a local POP (Swadlincote) mean to me?

I currently have FTTC with Zen to the Swadlincote exchange.

--
Neil Barker
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to