User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Third_of_Five
(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 13:45:21
Print Post

IP Profile Reset on FTTC?

[link to this post]

So, what is the truth of the matter here? There seems to be some debate.

Can the IP Profile on an FTTC broadband connection be reset or not?

If it can, what is the big deal about requesting it being done? If my connection really does need interleave to remain stable, the profile will just adjust itself to compensate and switch it back on, and you can say told you so. If my connection really is stable enough to handle fast path, then great. Either way I am happy, you are happy.

Ofc if I was asking for this to be done every few weeks, then I would understand the refusal, but maybe allowing it to be done once every year or so?

On a side note, does the profile ever switch from interleave to fast path automatically and if so, under what conditions (references please)

It irks me that I lost 10mbit and 8ms due to going from fast path to interleave even 12 months down the line.

-----
Dual WAN: o2+Zen
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 13:52:43
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Reset on FTTC?

[re: Third_of_Five] [link to this post]

IP Profile is a result of the sync speed, so not sure where interleaving fits in?

You are asking to be switched between the 3 DLM modes, that is the only control Zen have.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 15-Jul-13 14:09:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Third_of_Five:
It irks me that I lost 10mbit and 8ms due to going from fast path to interleave even 12 months down the line.

The speed loss may also be due to drop in your max attainable rates. Eighteen months ago, I had a max downstream attainable rate of 102Mbps. It is now down to 91Mbps. There is no interleaving on my line and I am about 250M from my FTTC cabinet. An often cited reason for this speed loss is increased take up of FTTC and the effects of 'crosstalk'. No doubt the experts can explain further.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 14:28:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
IP Profile is a result of the sync speed, so not sure where interleaving fits in?

You are asking to be switched between the 3 DLM modes, that is the only control Zen have.

Is it possible to have something reset that will cause fast path to be used instead of interleave?

Are you saying Zen can control the DLM mode on a connection? What DLM mode would allow for fast path?

-----
Zen
+ Sky BB as backup

Edited by Third_of_Five (Mon 15-Jul-13 14:34:54)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:06:02
Print Post

The IP profile can be reset on FTTC yes, But it due to Openreaches short sightedness or them wanting to be control freaks This requires an Engineer to visit the FTTC cab it cannot be done remotely like ADSL can, And of course this may be chargable to the ISP hence why some will try &fob you off with the IP profile can't be reset,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:08:41
Print Post

Not saying they have control of interleave, but three DLM modes of operation

Standard, Stable or Speed

And believe Zen always opt for Speed mode that favours throughput, so the automatic system will be less keen to increase interleaving depth compared to the other modes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:11:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thanks, so it wound't be unreasonable for me to ask Zen which DLM mode my connection was set to?

-----
Zen
+ Sky BB as backup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:14:47
Print Post

Should be reasonable but I had read a page that said Zen opt for the speed version all the time.

ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:24:12
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Agreed, however we should NEVER Fob off any query or customer. If this does happen, please make sure you take the persons name and then call back to let us know.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:35:22
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

What does resetting the IP profile on FTTC achieve?
It is calculated dynamically at every sync from the sync rate, so should not get stuck line in the old ADSL2+ days.

Resetting DLM and letting the line retrain from day 0 might be useful.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to