User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Mon 15-Jul-13 18:38:50
Print Post

Again I ask what is superfast broadband

[link to this post]

Am I crazy. I have Zen Lite. I am trying to do my homework on switching to an upgrade.

I discover that Zen Office and Zen Office Max are strangled to 7Megabits per sec despire my line test is good for 69 download on fibre and 6.5 to 15 on ordinary broadband btw I have never seen even the high fives.

Fibre Active, Fibre Pro, Fibre Office and Fibre Office Plus are offered by Zen at 76 Mb but we are also told that we can be allowed only 7 Mb, a tenth of the claimed speed. Am I crazy trying to understand or am I crazy to be thinking of leaving Zen Lite. They are of course never ever traffic shaping, so that,s OK then.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 15-Jul-13 18:50:26
Print Post

Re: Again I ask what is superfast broadband

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

that doesn't make too much sense - post a link to a speedtest result so we can read for ourselves.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-13 19:21:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
Am I crazy. I have Zen Lite. I am trying to do my homework on switching to an upgrade.

Unless I missed something - the Zen 'Lite' 'Office' 'Office Pro' and all those named packages are all delivered over whatever platform and all that is restricted is your download ALLOWANCE.

Without checking its something like 10Gb on 'Lite' going up to 100Gb, 200Gb and 2Tb for Office pro)

Otherwise your post doesn't make a lot of sense.

Any xDSL service provisioned will generally run and whatever speed it can. If your line is good for 20mbit ADSL2+ then that's what you get, if like mine your on a damp bit of string you might only get 4mbit - tough luck!

FTTC you will get whatever the speed checker thinks + a bit more (as I presume its a line which has never been on an FTTC connection before)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:42:32
Print Post

Here is a quote taken from today's Zen :- "We are delighted to announce that our business download speed has increased up to 16Mbps and our business upload speed to 1 Mbps"

This current.

So who is crazy?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:00:39
Print Post

The Fibre services are provided over a different technology - so that is why there is a big difference in the supported speed. Rather than the signal travelling over copper from the Exchange in your town, to your premises, it travels over Fibre Optic cable to a green BT cabinet somewhere near to your home - and then the remaining distance is done over copper.

That reduction in the distance the signal travels over copper wiring (from a few KMs to a few hundred metres, potentially), and use of a faster type of DSL (VDSL, rather than ADSL) in the cabinet means you get the "superfast" speeds on the Fibre services.

If you want to switch to a superfast service then the Zen Fibre Lite would be the best option for you - and will deliver speeds around 69Mbit/s according to the estimates for your line.

kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to