User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Mon 15-Jul-13 22:10:34
Print Post

FTTC latency changes on Zen

[link to this post]

I have a samknows broadband speed test device on my network.

For a long while, my latency as reported from the device was about 11-13ms. In May this dropped to 5ms with no appreciable change to my downstream speed (65Mbit/s approx). Just the other day, I see my latency has now gone up to ~20ms.

Unfortunately I did not record what my first hop was before, but now it is losubs.subs.dsl2.wh-man.zen.net.uk

Best wishes
James

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jul-13 22:23:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC latency changes on Zen

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

May not be the backhaul network but could easily be the DLM changing interleaving depth

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:56:06
Print Post

Hello James,

This is likely to relate to something that I've mentioned in another thread today. Our GEA Fibre services are provisioned on a 'Standard' DLM profile rather than the less aggressive 'Speed' profile.

You can see you're on GEA Fibre by logging in to your Customer Portal and clicking "View Line Data" towards the bottom right of the My Services Home page. In the Broadband Line Data section it will state "Your current line technology is" followed by the detail.

While on the previous platform you'll have been on the 'Speed' profile. If the increase in latency is an issue for you then we could modify the profile back to 'Speed'. The trade-off though is that you may experience more errors or disconnections as the 'Speed' profile allows more frequent errors and up to re-syncs within a 24 hour period. If you didn't have issues prior to May (when the switch occurred) then I doubt you'd have any new problems if we changed it for you now.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in changing the profile please.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 16-Jul-13 21:12:17
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

So I guess I have been migrated from the BT-provisioned service to Zen since Canterbury exchange is on your list?

I am not so worried about initial hop latency, just interested in the change!

(isp) Wed 17-Jul-13 08:28:49
Print Post

Correct; however the first-hop latency increase won't be due to that change, but because your line has a higher level of interleaving applied now.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 17-Jul-13 20:29:21
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

Where is the published prices for your GEA fiber service?

In particular I am interested in inclusive traffic and topup taffic, I hope it isnt the same as your BTw pricing.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 17-Jul-13 20:29:30)

(isp) Thu 18-Jul-13 09:33:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

There are no differences at this time.

The second half of the first paragraph onward, in the quote in this post elsewhere in this forum covers the current situation.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
  Print Thread

Jump to