User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User movinglight
(newbie) Thu 15-Aug-13 13:39:43
Print Post

Thinking of moving Zen - BT

[link to this post]

Been a very happy Zen user for many years but the cost and bandwidth usage is getting me down a bit (the family is streaming a lot more video than they used to) I was hoping that Zen would have upped my 200GB allowance by now (I pay £45/month fibre pro) and have been wondering if I should switch to unlimited bandwidth and lower price at BT (free nationwide wifi looks nice too) Has anyone made a similar jump recently? any comments welcomed.

Thanks

Stephen

Edited by movinglight (Thu 15-Aug-13 13:44:05)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 15-Aug-13 14:20:16
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving Zen - BT

[re: movinglight] [link to this post]

Yes I made the jump in July; got £100 Sainsbury voucher as well - part of my incentive. Just BT Infinity; do not need vast downloads or sports channels.

So far so good, even though had to call out real BT engineer to fix my messed up internal wiring.

Speed as expected; long way from cabinet.

"...(free nationwide wifi looks nice too)..." more use than I thought it would be.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 15-Aug-13 17:20:17
Print Post

I confess that I am thinking about it as well. My daughter is with BT and she has had no issues whatsoever. Also, I calculate that my first year saving for BB and phone would be £185 compared to Zen. Moreover, later on in the year new customers will get the HH5 - a combined VDSL modem/router with the latest wifi. All in all, an attractive package. That said, I am very happy with Zen but sadly their May-announcement seems to have resulted in no change to FTTC bandwidths:

Lower priced Fibre Optic
Broadband coming soon...

We continue to invest in major developments of our next generation network and will soon be bringing lower priced Fibre Optic Broadband.

To deliver these lower priced service we are initially investing over £3.5m in our core infrastructure to build a network of local exchange Points of Presence (PoPs). These Fibre Optic services will be available from our 200 PoPs plus another 270 exchange locations which will enable us to provide these services to at least 6 million UK premises.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 15-Aug-13 21:42:29
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts guys, appreciated.

I may just raise bandwidth allowance one more time on the Zen board, though I wouldn't want it to seem like I'm not grateful for the service over the years but circumstances change, guess I hate the thought of supporting BT over a better company like Zen.

Zen shouldn't have to do anything that wouldn't work out for them though, guess I'm the one who needs to compromise.

Stephen
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Fri 16-Aug-13 11:08:14
Print Post

Hi

Please can you PM me you account details and ill look into this for you.

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 16-Aug-13 16:20:07
Print Post

I'd posted on this as well. Since I moved to ADSL2+ my usage has really increased. There's just so much more you can do.

When fibre eventually comes to my area, which should hopefully be next year, I'll be in the same situation - if I don't find myself in it before!

I watch my allowance and manage what I do to keep within it. It's a pain not having the freedom to just use the connection for what it can do.

ZeN Pro
Draytek Vigor 2710n
My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:45:48
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Looking back at historic data its not that long since I was averaging 3-4gb per month, the extra 190gb these days is definitely Netflix, youtube etc, it would seem that TV is moving to the net.

I moved to Zen just over 8 years ago from a 1mbit NDO account, in those days the family had near to zero interest in the internet and I could happily operate with no surprises, change appears to be the one constant....

Stephen
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:53:53
Print Post

I could never manage without unlimited on my home broadband.

I have upto 6 people using the connection, all over the house on so many devices. Smart TVs like mine automatically play 1080P and will not go below 720P (it just buffers and refuses to go below).

It's almost impossible to monitor the usage. I think unlimited of any kind would be good - see what Zen offer to you. I personally find even BT expensive though ha.
  Print Thread

Jump to