User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-13 16:24:00
Print Post

Zen unlimited FTTC

[link to this post]

For those who've missed the newsletter, Zen have launched three FTTC and phone line bundles, two of which have unlimited usage. These packages don't appear to be limited to those whose exchanges are on the Zen MPLS network .

The new packages are listed with "Home Office" pricing (including VAT) or business pricing (excluding VAT).

The extra cost of Fibre Unlimited 2 (unlimited 76/19 FTTC) over my existing Fibre Active product is only £3.73 plus VAT.

My phone line is currently with BT Retail on a 12 month advance line rental deal, and my FTTC is within the first 12 months on Fibre Active. Clearly I would have to factor in the different phone pricing on Zen, and wait until I'm out of contract with BT Retail in a few months' time.

Once I'm out of contract, I should then be able to migrate my existing BT Retail number to Zen - a migration from one WLR provider to another. Will this migration will lead to a FTTC cease and reprovide. If so, what are the consequences in terms of down time, charges and minimum contract periods?
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Thu 19-Sep-13 16:48:23
Print Post

Re: Zen unlimited FTTC

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thank you for the extensive right up. I just want to answer a couple of you questions.

If you move your phone line from BT to Zen this wont result in the ceasing of your phone line.

And you are right, our new products are open to all customer old and new and when your ready if you call our sales team they would be more than happy to go through it all with you.

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Sep-13 17:42:25
Print Post

Good spot

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-13 18:53:15
Print Post

So a 40Mb unlimited package with Zen now comes in at £42.44 a month, including line rental and VAT. And I'm currently paying A&A £42 a month including line rental and VAT for 100Gb of off peak traffic per month or 5Gb of on peak per month.

Shame I'm still in contract with A&A until April next year. Tis a good offer, no doubt about it. Shame Zen still don't do native IPv6 though.

Will keep an eye on how things progress into 2014 with A&A offerings, this one and others.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:01:21
Print Post

So.

Need to ring to order? Says ring number.
Need to take phone package? no thanks, scrap that requirement zen and you have my attention.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 20-Sep-13 03:08:42)

Standard User AndrewW
(member) Thu 19-Sep-13 20:52:15
Print Post

[re: mickbzen] [link to this post]

Is the package available to customers who don't want to move their phone line ????
If not what are the options
Standard User knight01
(learned) Thu 19-Sep-13 22:16:31
Print Post

[re: mickbzen] [link to this post]

I would also be interested in 76/19 unlimited FTTC without moving the phone to Zen. The phone line is not in my name and I've been told it needs to stay with the current provider.

------------------------------
ZeN Active

[img]http://speedtest.net/result/2538370612.png[/img]
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Thu 19-Sep-13 22:40:01
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Zen, if your reading this, add IPV6 support, and I will switch my account over to you.
Standard User amphion
(member) Fri 20-Sep-13 08:30:04
Print Post

Zen's Mad pricing (Re: Zen unlimited FTTC)

I'm currently on Zen Fibre office, £66 per month with a 400GB download cap. Line rental not included,which is £15.45 from BT.

Total per month at present is therefore £81.45

I could switch to the new unlimited Fibre 2 package at a total of £45.44 including line rental from Zen.

So I can save £36.01 a month by switching. What's the catch? Is the broadband service identical on both packages? If so, why not just cut the price of the Fibre Office products?

Why the big disparity in pricing from Zen? One explanation could be they are using the price differential to persuade lots of existing customers to switch their line rental.

Are we about (or in a couple of months or so if the above explanation is correct) to see a big drop in the Fibre Office pricing?

Why are Zen (and other ISPs of course) so keen for you to move your line rental to them?

--

amphion
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Fri 20-Sep-13 08:54:45
Print Post

[re: AndrewW] [link to this post]

Reading a little more on think broadband it looks like (and I need Zen to confirm) that the phone line at £15.44 is a requirement.

If I break down what I currently have
BT Line @ £11.75 per month (pay 12 months ion advance to avoid the £15.45 fee)
BT Balls (Anytime) @ £7 per month
Zen Fibre Pro (200Gb Cap) @ £45.6 per month

So £64.35 per month

If I move to Zen and try to purchase similar service ( not identical though)
Zen Line @ £15.44 per month (even though on the Zen web site (http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services.aspx) it states this is £11.22 per month)
Zen Calls 5000 ( not unlimited like BT but I suspect without the 60 minute cap on calls) @ £17 per month
Zen Caller display @ £0.9 per month
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (No Cap) @ £30 per month

So £63.69 per month

Looks like a grand saving of approx 66p per month

Or of course I could move to BT on their unlimited Infinity 2 service for £26 per month
+ Phone line @ 11.75 per month
+ anytime @ £7 per month
Giving a total of £44.75
Looks like a savings of £19.6 per month

So from my rough calculations (and they need to be checked) + discussed pros and cons etc. I feel I am now being forced to make a choice or always feel like I am being ripped off

Option 1 Stay as is BT line and Zen Active, but always feel ripped off as Iím paying approx 50% more the internet , and Iím capped

Option 2 Move Phone line to Zen, and make a 66p per month savings, but the zen calls 5000 and caller ID , I donít like the look of

Option 3 Move to BT Infinity 2 Unlimited and make a £19.6 per month savings + £6 x 3 (first 3 months reduced price) + £60 sainsburys voucher + BT Sports.

I donít like being force to make such decisions as I would ideally leave my line with BT and broadband with Zen so

BT Line @ 11.75 per month ( pay 12 months ion advance to avoid the £15.45 fee)
BT Calls (Anytime) @ £7 per month
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (No Cap) @ £30 per month
So a total of £48.75 and a savings of £15.60 best of both worlds

Have I done my calculations correctly and which way do you think I am goingÖÖ
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to