User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deak
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 21:40:31
Print Post

Nearly 6 months to get a phone line - still waiting!

[link to this post]

I moved house back in May and ordered a phone and fibre package from Zen. We're nearly into October and I still don't even have a phone line. There has been total incompetence from Zen, Openreach, and, to some degree the local contractor, at every single stage.

Up until today, I was fully prepared to believe none of this was Zen's fault. However, the local contractor actually called me directly this afternoon to ask if I still wanted an engineer to visit today (that would be my FIFTH wasted engineer visit) and the full story behind this fiasco came out.

The local contractor has consistently received incomplete, inaccurate, and often no briefing at all on the necessary work to install the line. What's more, they said they were now furious that so much of their engineers' time had been wasted on such a poorly managed project. One, they say, that should have been so simple: survey, cable/duct work, install.

Clearly there are big communication problems somewhere in the chain and the contractor is claiming this hasn't been managed at all properly from the start.

I again complained to Zen today that I am still without a phone line and there is still confusion about whether the contractor should send an engineer, or whether a second Openreach survey is needed, and, if one is needed, exactly when this will take place. I still don't have an install date or even the possibility of an install date. The situation is utter madness. Quite how/why Zen have let this to drag on for so long is beyond me, but it's absolutely disgraceful.

In my complaint, I again reminded Zen that I have been without a phone or broadband since May and have so far booked 4 days off work for wasted engineer visits. I politely said that I'd like to discuss appropriate compensation for the grief they have put me through and the days of work I have lost. Disappointingly -- and not entirely unexpectedly given my experience so far -- they wouldn't consider compensation or taking my complaint any further. In fact, what I got from them was a bland and selective take on previous 5 month's events. They conveniently ignored all the details of delays, mistakes, poor planning, communication failures, lack of any project management, and repeated failures of action at all stages of this install.

I think I'm well within my rights to expect my complaint to be adequately dealt with, compensation or not. I am now awaiting a deadlock letter from Zen and then I'm preparing my complaint to Ofcom.

I've had some really bad service over the years, but Zen have really turned a formerly happy customer very much against them. Whenever I've had issues with other companies I've always felt that my complaints were heard, understood, and properly escalated to someone who would take ownership of it until resolved. That seems to be totally missing from Zen's customer services.

Edited by Deak (Mon 23-Sep-13 21:44:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Sep-13 22:44:20
Print Post

Re: Nearly 6 months to get a phone line - still waiting!

[re: Deak] [link to this post]

Contractor is irrelevant they are openreach staff or working on their behalf. Only time i can envisage otherwise is where its a new build and openreach is waiting on builder to complete their end of things.

Has Zen escalated this with openreach?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Sep-13 23:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deak:
I am now awaiting a deadlock letter from Zen and then I'm preparing my complaint to Ofcom.
It's not Ofcom you take it to; they don't deal with individual complaints.

After the deadlock letter or, if none forthcoming, 8 weeks since complaint submitted you take it to Zen's ADR outfit who should be specified in Zen's Complaint Code.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Wed 25-Sep-13 14:13:56
Print Post

Morning Deak,

Could you please PM your fault/order details and I'll have this chased for you.

Kindest Regards,

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Wed 25-Sep-13 16:16:13
Print Post

Hi,

I can see on your account that my colleague Jamie is looking after this for you and has escalated this with BT, if you need anything further please let me know.

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Deak
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 21:14:00
Print Post

[re: mickbzen] [link to this post]

Just. Wow. This goes from bad to worse, here's an update:

This is STILL ongoing and is now the worst service I have ever received from any company. Zen's customer service team have repeatedly fobbed me off, ignored me, and failed to take my formal complaints any further. There is no escalation and no-one takes any ownership of my problems. Nothing is properly managed or tracked and no-one is proactive in helping me. Throughout this 6 month wait for a simple phone line and broadband I have been endlessly patient, reasonable, and polite. Now I'm stuck paying them for incomplete services and a totally screwed up phone line with no resolution in sight.

Here's where I'm at:

Finally -- after 5+ months! -- I have a "working" phone line. Sadly Zen lost my broadband order, which I had to place again. Annoying, but not unexpected given I placed it nearly half a year ago.

Unfortunately, despite Zen happily taking money for the first month and installation of broadband I have now received an email about my ADSL order saying that my phone number "could not be recognised". The very number that Zen provided me with and are charging me for.

Despair doesn't even cover my feelings right now.

To say that I'm angry is a massive understatement. I was in fact still angry that my enquiries about compensation for all the delays, wasted days off work, and grief I've been through have been repeatedly forgotten or ignored. Zen have also ignored my (two) requests for ADR or a deadlock letter. Things are not properly escalated or monitored by their customer service team and just get forgotten.

If anyone has any ideas about how to move this forward I'd love some advice. I just want a phone line and ADSL... this should not be difficult! Also, if anyone has any experience of what my next steps should be if my formal complaints are being repeatedly ignored I'd like to hear your thoughts too. I'm fed up of being treated like [censored] by Zen.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 22:09:54
Print Post

There's really not a lot anyone reading outside Zen can say. Clearly communication is an issue somewhere in the Zen <-> BT Wholesale <-> BT Openreach <-> Openreach's contractor chain, but it's unclear how it all unravels and where any blame may lie.

Hopefully, you can get things up and running with Zen (I guess the issue with the ADSL is that the number is not yet in the relevant BT databases), as abandoning the ADSL activation now will probably just lead to further delays. Beyond that, you will have to see what Zen can sort out and form an opinion on whether to port away from Zen after a month. I'm pretty sure both phone line rental and ADSL have a one month minimum, and expect Zen would be amenable to letting you migrate to another provider immediately if you wish.

I wish you well.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Oct-13 22:44:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deak:
Zen have also ignored my (two) requests for ADR or a deadlock letter.
You can just look it up yourself:
If your complaint is not settled within 8 weeks, you can take your complaint to CISAS without the need for a deadlock letter.

You will need to contact CISAS directly as we are unable to start this process for you:

CISAS
International Dispute Resolution Centre
70 Fleet Street
London
EC4Y 1EU

Telephone: 020 7520 3814
Fax: 020 7520 3829
Email: info@cisas.org.uk

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Deak
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-13 07:53:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. CIAS it is, then.

I had a long chat with the engineer when he turned up. He was in fact the first engineer who'd turned up nearly 6 months ago.

He said when he picked up the job in the morning it took 15 minutes to read through all of the notes and endless back-and-forth, which read badly for everyone involved. From his perspective as a contractor he thought the blame was equal parts Zen and Openreach. Communication definitely seemed to be an issue along with poor escalation -- basically once the job was identified as more complex, someone more technical and senior on both sides should have taken proper ownership of it to get it done. Instead it bounced back-and-forth with no progress, misunderstandings, and outright mistakes.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Oct-13 12:20:05
Print Post

Are you sure you formally complained, according to their Complaint's Proceedure? Cuz you should've been sent this info during it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to