User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 16-Nov-13 06:49:28
Print Post

Simultaneous PSTN/fibre provide

[link to this post]

Thinking of getting a second tel line from Zen when FTTC is available at my property ( ~ Feb 2014) and signing up to their Unlimited Fibre 2 service. Could Zen offer me a simultaneous provide even though my FTTC cabinet will NOT be connected to my nearest exchange ie pstn and data will have different connection points? There is no WBC at my exchange so the fibre link will apparently go to the main exchange in town.

Also are there any slowdowns on Zen fibre at peak times? Any issues i should be aware of?

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 16-Nov-13 06:50:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 09:37:40
Print Post

Re: Simultaneous PSTN/fibre provide

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The fibre backhaul and PSTN at different exchanges should make no difference to a SIM provide

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Nov-13 09:40:12
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

It's irrelevant for provisioning purposes where the Openreach handover node is located. The FTTC provisioning process is still a matter of connecting your pair in the PCP cabinet via the tie-pair to a pre-allocated line card port in the FTTC cabinet.

I don't know how Zen handle simultaneous provides. It might be possible to order online, though if you have any questions or need any assistance I've always found Zen sales very helpful over the phone.

So far as the user experience goes, I've only noticed slowdowns on Zen on three consecutive evenings in the almost ten years I've been with them (FTTC since January 2013). I explained the excellent technical support experience I had when dealing with Zen over this in the thread. It turned out to be a defective BT Wholesale link affecting traffic via the Milton Keynes BRASes on all ISPs using BT Wholesale. There have been no problems since BT repaired the fault, and I've never otherwise failed to get a speed test commensurate with my full sync speed 80/20 connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 16-Nov-13 10:22:17
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks, i'll give Zen a call and ask them.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to