User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thesmileyone
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-13 18:24:35
Print Post

Zen updated fibre speed?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am with Zen on Fibre Unlimited 2.

I am at 48/6 speed wise. Couldn't be happier with the service.

Out of interest I did a broadband check today and the speeds have updated to 65 down and 18 up.

Is it possible that Zen can increase my profile some way so I get the updated speeds? I don't know how VDSL works, for example on ADSL you could re-sync by resetting your modem and it would update to the latest speeds. Is this possible with fibre? I am not talking about interleaving etc.

Many Thanks

Stuck on 2mbit for last 5 years - 56k for 15 years before that. Council house development gets 100mbit fibre for free whilst the middle and upper class pay for 2mbit. Awesome!
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13750...
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 14:30:59
Print Post

Re: Zen updated fibre speed?

[re: thesmileyone] [link to this post]

bump

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
47.3mbit DOWN 9mbit UP 14ms - Speedtest.net
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Dec-13 19:35:35
Print Post

A reboot of the Openreach modem will mean it renegotiates the connection once again, if that results in a 48 Meg sync then that is what the modem thinks it can do.

The estimates from the checker are estimates, there is some feedback loop involved, so it may be others nearby are getting better speeds. The 6 Meg upload seems a little low for a 48 Meg sync, so it may be a wiring affected line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 23:59:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Won't this activate the DSR or whatever it is called that thinks it is line instability and lowers my speed profile?

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
47.3mbit DOWN 9mbit UP 14ms - Speedtest.net
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-13 00:46:27
Print Post

The odd reboot won't upset it. Think power-cut or even some peeps turn off all kit overnight.

It's DLM = Dynamic Line Management.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 10-Dec-13 08:55:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by thesmileyone:
I am at 48/6 speed wise. Couldn't be happier with the service.

Out of interest I did a broadband check today and the speeds have updated to 65 down and 18 up.

Have you checked your Line Data on the Zen Customer Portal? It will show whether there has been any recent profile change on your line. It is possible that you have had interleaving which in my experience can reduce the downstream speed considerably - more importantly, when it is applied by the DLM it can take weeks for normal service to be restored.
  Print Thread

Jump to