User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(member) Tue 10-Dec-13 10:04:52
Print Post

bad zen fibre from cabinet

[link to this post]

Glad smileyone has got good results. Mine are terribe

My fibre from the cabinet is slower than my previous zen copper. After getting booted I then have to "initialize" the web, this takes 32 seconds today. When I go to Outlook Express it takes 28 seconds to open and a total of 48 seconds to get it working

Previously, on copper, there was no "initalizing" and the icon click to web was all but instaneous to reach the web and almost instantaneous --- I mean say a full second -- to get on Outlook Express.

My wife has a standalone pc just as I do and we have a common Zen router and upstream from that there is a common BT so-called router. She has the same problems

Zen tell me over the weekend they were dealing with an outage with BT and for several hours we had good service. It then slumped and remains slumped.

I have formally asked Zen if they will reimburse all my cabinet fibre charges from the start and keep them on the previous copper charges until this problem is solved. I think that is fair?

I doubt if any of this Zen's fault but is our friend in the cabinet, BT, but I have to take my gripe to Zen.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak

Edited by Littleseen (Tue 10-Dec-13 10:07:35)

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Tue 10-Dec-13 10:59:28
Print Post

Re: bad zen fibre from cabinet

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've taken a look at this and the communications you've had with us so far. The email problems look to be application based, given they're down to how long the application takes to open (before it even tries to send/receive) and then show what it's already downloaded in the Inbox.

In terms of web - I see you've provided this result recently, and the speed does look very good 40Meg (albeit not the fastest the line is capable of).

From what we can tell your Fibre service is working and getting a high connection speed, so we need to work out what could be causing the slow down on your computers.

Are you using Wireless or wires to connect to the router?

Have you rebooted the router? I know when you had similar problems with ADSL a reboot of the router resolved it - it's worth doing again in case that's causing a problem - and I can see it disconnected briefly on Sunday so I wonder if that was due to a reboot (and why your connection seemed better afterwards)?

At present we can't say this issue is due to Fibre, so we wouldn't consider any changes to billing. I would advise you work with us on diagnostics to identify the cause so we can resolve it. If, after that process, you still have issues with the charges then I'd recommend discussing it with us at that point - if we conclude the problem was due to the Fibre service.

kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Dec-13 11:09:55
Print Post

What did the engineer change who did the install?

There are some that are not wiring them in correctly, and this can mean poorly performing fibre service. What were the estimates for the speed of service when you ordered? Also do you know how far you are from the fibre cabinet?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Littleseen
(member) Tue 10-Dec-13 11:53:35
Print Post

I have not rebooted the router --- should I ? Does mean the zen router or the BT router or both?

As we know I had endlessly problems getting my BT router properly wired and I took this to the MD of BT who PERSONALLY instructed BT Connect to attend which they did and found that the freelance engineer working on BT's behalf had left a lead off --- so that we could not connect our phone.

This help. Now read Zen's response as follows:-

We did have an on-going major service outage yesterday which could have been a big contributing factor.

Please keep an eye on this and update us accordingly.

Kind regards,

SR
Technical Support
Zen Internet

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 10-Dec-13 12:06:32
Print Post

You have one router, supplied by Zen and one modem supplied by BT OpenReach.

Reboot the modem (the white one supplied by OpenReach) to see if this improves things.

A single reboot will not cause the world to end.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
(isp) Tue 10-Dec-13 12:29:26
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I'd suggested the router - as this has been a problem before. No harm in both, of course. Best doing the BT modem first though.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Tue 10-Dec-13 12:37:58
Print Post

Hi,

That was a response to an earlier query - since then you've had other replies from us. I'd recommend responding to those, as the previous outage on the 7th (the email you quoted was sent to you on the 8th) won't be having an effect on you now.

regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
Standard User Littleseen
(member) Tue 10-Dec-13 12:46:08
Print Post

It may be of help that my wife has an Apple iPad with a wireless connection via the Zen router. Whether either or both of us or neither of us are switched on manually when she goes on the wireless iPad she always get perfect web and OE. The sort of result that makes her wonder why she bothers with a hard-wire pc at all!
----- Original Message -----
I have turned off the BT router and turned it on. I got a red light on the Zen router but that has disappeared so we shall see Bruce +++

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Dec-13 13:16:07
Print Post

It is possible to get bad performance from Ethernet (e.g. dodgy lead/socket/dirty connector), but if one device is responding quickly and another not, then it suggests the fibre service is fine and it is some issue with the slow device.

What operating system is the PC running?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Littleseen
(member) Tue 10-Dec-13 15:39:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Both puters are using XP Professional and ESET antivirus

When I stated that my wife's iPad instantly clicked on to OE and naughty me I should have called it Mailbox. This enables her to access OE

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to