User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Fri 20-Dec-13 21:47:28
Print Post

Zen FTTC & Forced firmware updates

[link to this post]

Question;

Do Zen/BT do the forced firmware update to the OpenReach provided modem thing?

It looks like I have the choice of FTTC coming after a 2 yr wait - however the horror stories of people's VPN connections breaking due to BT/ISPs forcing out firmware updates to the modems has yet again served as a big flashing warning light saying 'STAY AWAY'

I can't run the risk of someone deciding when its time to update my devices & then leave them in a non working state.

Anyone from Zen land able to comment & any FTTC users on here able to comment on there experiences.

Ta

Edited by IamQ (Fri 20-Dec-13 21:48:39)

Standard User stevejm
(member) Fri 20-Dec-13 23:21:55
Print Post

Re: Zen FTTC & Forced firmware updates

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I have had FTTC with the OpenReach modem for almost a year and I haven't noticed any updates to it, though I can't be completely sure as it is a 'black box' to which I have no access.

You may prefer to use your own system with the new self-install which looks as if it would give you complete control over it. See FTTC self install to start officially at end of year
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 20-Dec-13 23:26:24
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I'm with ICUK using an Openreach modem, and it has had firmware updates. These have had the effect of giving a bit more than 10% increase in sync speeds. A price well worth paying, I think. I expect OR do it to all their modems.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Fri 20-Dec-13 23:40:03
Print Post

[re: stevejm] [link to this post]

10% more speed is one thing - but if I can't use my VPN I'm out of work...

ANd thanks for the link - I wasn't aware it was coming so soon. Looks like I'll be going for the PCP only install.

I wonder what this does with vectoring & the like once people can use any old router/modem
  Print Thread

Jump to