User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caley
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:19:42
Print Post

Slooooooow Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi All.
I've just moved over to Zen this morning and finding my speeds have dropped dramatically. I was with ADSL24 who got gobbled up by Coms recently. The speeds I got with ADSL24 were brilliant. BT says my line will give up to 8mb but I was getting upwards of 13368 Kbps download and 874 Kbps upload with a ping of around 50. Now I'm struggling to get 1947 Kbps download and 375 Kbps upload with a ping of around 48. I have been on the live chat for an hour and I've been told to wait 72 hours to see if things will settle and the speeds improve. I'm quite happy with that as long as my speed goes up to at least the 8mb that BT says my line will give. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to achieve in excess of the 13kbps I was getting though I'm not quite sure how I got those speeds.
Appreciate any advice and comments from the forum members.

Thanks
Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:31:00
Print Post

Re: Slooooooow Speeds

[re: caley] [link to this post]

Hi Caley,

I've looked at this and your on a IP Stream provision, which does limit the initial throughput profile during it's training period of 72 hours. You should see speeds appropriate to what your line can achieve once it's trained, so the advice you've been given is correct for the service you're on.

Kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:31:28
Print Post

Check your phone number here www.dslchecker.bt.com which will give you an estimate for your line.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 14:35:33
Print Post

What are the connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures as reported by the router?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User caley
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:45:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not quite sure what you're asking for but if you tell me where to look I'll get the figures for you.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User caley
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:56:33
Print Post

In case it's a speed test you're asking for I've just done one at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

10th February 2014 15:54:31 368 Kbps Up 1949 Kbps Down

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:50
Print Post

Not really, its the statistics from your ADSL router

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html shows some of the common devices and how to get the info.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc can then do an estimate of whether the speeds are reasonable or not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User caley
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:01
Print Post

Hello MrSaffron and thanks for your help with this. I had a deep look round my modem/router and found this (below) is that what you're looking for?

Caley.

System Up Time 04:08:38
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 36860 48033 0 528 3452 04:05:34
LAN 10M/100M 55896 40003 0 3847 647 04:08:29
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 4966 6790 0 74 116 03:30:33

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 19.0 db 10.5 db
Noise Margin 11.9 db 26.0 db

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 17:40:28
Print Post

The checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html what exchange does it say you are on?
Does it mention WBC at all?

In terms of speed, 8 Meg sync, so 6.5 Mbps speed tests (three times faster than now are possible). Just needs the IP Profile to catch up in the BT Wholesale system to catch up.

Looks like this is an old IPStream only exchange, i.e. ADSL2+ is available from LLU providers, but BT Wholesale have not done their own upgrades yet.

Standard User caley
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 17:59:48
Print Post

The exchange is Inverness Culloden and it's due to be updated to FTTC in March although I'm not sure how may cabinets and which ones or even if my cabinet will be upgraded. Can only hope. As I said in a previous post I've always been able to achieve from my home address speeds in excess of 6mbps and till this morning achieved speeds like this 10th February 2014 06:15:50 874 Kbps 13368 Kbps Don't know how but was getting this speed for over a year. The only LLU providers on this exchange are Talk Talk and C&W but I'd not contemplate going with any of them. As you can see from the information below from Sam Knows the exchange hasn't had anything updated since 2006 except LLU added.
So, MrSaffron, do you think my speed problem will settle once the 72 hour "training period" is over. I do hope so or all this will have been for nothing and I'll have to search pastures new for more speed.
Speeds of 10th February 2014 17:48:11 360 Kbps 1947 Kbps are no use to me but there's no saying it'll improve anywhere else. Just have to keep my fingers well and truly crossed.

BT Wholesale information
ADSL status: Enabled as of 14/02/2003
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/03/2014

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to