User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davotoula
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:11:16
Print Post

Another slow Zen FTTC (Unlimited 2)

[link to this post]

TL;DR: I'm getting 29 down, 15 up. What further diagnostics can I do to verify this isn't an installation / profile/ modem mistake or such?

I was very excited going back to Zen after a few years away due to faster ADSL2+ with another provider. When I noticed Zen provided FTTC in my area I ordered Unlimited Fibre 2 right away.

I have been spoiled with decent ADSL2+ speeds, 18Mbps down, 2.2Mbps up and assumed FTTC would be close to the marketing estimates of 80/20.

The BT engineer joked about him being very new but the installation only took 15 minutes and he was away.

It is now 8 days later and all speed tests are maxing out on 30Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.

I have contacted Zen support. 3 different support engineers have mentioned this is odd since my line syncs at 79Mbps down.

We did a few more speed tests and in the end I was told that "since I am having better speed than 16Mbps nothing more can be done" frown I was also asked to use a windows laptop for the speed test rather than the mac I was using frown

What further diagnostics can I do to verify this isn't an installation / profile/ modem mistake or such?

thanks for your time.

David
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:21:53
Print Post

Re: Another slow Zen FTTC (Unlimited 2)

[re: davotoula] [link to this post]

How far are you from your FTTC box in the street? To get 80/20 you need to be within around 250m. Also what were the estimates at the time of signup?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:30:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by davotoula:
What further diagnostics can I do to verify this isn't an installation / profile/ modem mistake or such?

Edit - you can tell us what your home phone wiring is like, how many sockets, if you have a faceplate filter or using plug-in filters etc.

Grab a spare Huawei HG612 from eBay, and install a hacked firmware. You can then use a tool such as DSLstats or HG612 Modem Stats which will reveal your sync speed, and any noise information, similar to the old ADSL days.

You can then contact Zen support with the real information about your connection.

Have you tried a BTW speedtest yet, as this will reveal your speed profile that the BT WBC network has recorded for you (and is not under Zen control): http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Mon 17-Feb-14 22:32:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Tue 18-Feb-14 09:19:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by davotoula:
I have been spoiled with decent ADSL2+ speeds, 18Mbps down, 2.2Mbps up and assumed FTTC would be close to the marketing estimates of 80/20.

The BT engineer joked about him being very new but the installation only took 15 minutes and he was away.

It is now 8 days later and all speed tests are maxing out on 30Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.

I have contacted Zen support. 3 different support engineers have mentioned this is odd since my line syncs at 79Mbps down.

We did a few more speed tests and in the end I was told that "since I am having better speed than 16Mbps nothing more can be done" frown I was also asked to use a windows laptop for the speed test rather than the mac I was using frown

Hi,

Can you PM me your username so I can investigate the advice you've given and look at the service? On Unlimited 2 you should get at least 40 Mbps with the sync speed you're getting, so you have been advised incorrectly.

kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User davotoula
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 10:08:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am no more than 150m from the FTTC cabinet.

Estimated speed *:79900 download and 20000 upload
Standard User davotoula
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 10:57:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Edit - you can tell us what your home phone wiring is like, how many sockets, if you have a faceplate filter or using plug-in filters etc.

I use only one socket where a wireless phone is connected. The BT engineer installed a new faceplate with dedicated phone socket and dedicated modem socket. He took away the old ADSL filter saying it is not needed anymore. I am not aware of any other phone sockets in the house but for sure nothing is connected to them

Grab a spare Huawei HG612 from eBay, and install a hacked firmware. You can then use a tool such as DSLstats or HG612 Modem Stats which will reveal your sync speed, and any noise information, similar to the old ADSL days.

You can then contact Zen support with the real information about your connection.

I'll do this once I have exhausted all help I can get from Zen. I am paying premium for my broadband connection because from previous experience Zen has delivered amazing service.

Have you tried a BTW speedtest yet, as this will reveal your speed profile that the BT WBC network has recorded for you (and is not under Zen control): http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I've done the speed test. It shows similar results (a bit lower) than Zen. When I try to run "further diagnostics" the test fails and tells me "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection"

Zen support have told me that the BT speedtest can only be used by BT broadband subscribers.
Standard User davotoula
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 10:58:34
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

Done, and thanks for the fast reply SkyFire
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 11:00:13
Print Post

Due to the way Zen arranges some of the backhaul for FTTC services, then it is possible you are bypassing some fo the BT Wholesale network and thus the IP profile page will not work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davotoula
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:27:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Due to the way Zen arranges some of the backhaul for FTTC services, then it is possible you are bypassing some fo the BT Wholesale network and thus the IP profile page will not work.

Ah yes, very likely. Zen Support mentioned they have their own equipment in the cabinet which is why I need to use the Zen speedtest.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 14:22:29
Print Post

Not in the cabinet, but at the fibre handover node, where they buy their own bandwidth onto their own network.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to