User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 09:15:11
Print Post

What would you do?

[link to this post]

I have an intermittent connection problem on my FTTC line which over a week has resulted in a 20% drop in the IP profile. Zen has stated that having run a PPPoE check from a laptop that the problem is external to my premises. They would like me to agree to a SFI engineer visit for a 'lift and shift'. Zen's policy on SFI charges is vague to say the least. For example, I can find no FAQs and I haven't been given any indication as to which modules would be booked.

My dilemma is this that once the authentication issue has resolved itself - which now seems to be down to less than a hour - the connection will remain stable. Currently, I am on a 62/17 profile. The options that I have in front of me are:

A. Agree to a SFI visit with no clear idea of the likely final charge if the SFI engineer plugs his test kit in and it authenticates. Possible cost £200+

B. Buy out existing BB contract and move to another ISP (possibly LLU or ISP with good reputation for defending its customers from SFI charges). Similar amount to A.

C. Grit my teeth and do nothing in the hope that the fault will resolve itself or fail completely.

What would you do in my circumstances?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Mar-14 09:24:25
Print Post

Re: What would you do?

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I wouldn't have been with Zen in the first place.

But apart from that, I'd go with the lift and shift.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 09:29:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

OK - but how do I get round the hurdle of a No Fault Found, thank you, goodbye £200 charge?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Geordish
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 09:57:34
Print Post

I don't think its quite as cut and dry as that.

If one engineer goes out, and doesn't find a fault, then a second one does find a fault then you don't incur a charge.

I believe the engineers should also do the job requested by the ISP even if they dont find a fault, although you have mentioned a 20% drop in line rate which may be a fault in itself.

Edited by Geordish (Sat 15-Mar-14 09:59:44)

Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 10:11:06
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

Thanks for such a helpful response. Sadly, Zen has provided no such re-assurance/information although I have invited them to do so. The reduction in profile is down to me spending a morning changing modems and routers in an attempt to get a connection to my ISP.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Mar-14 11:12:06
Print Post

I understand a lift and shift is only offered after other steps have been taken and failed to resolve the fault, so this indicates a fault exists.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 12:02:13
Print Post

Again, that is helpful if correct. What I don't understand is the process that will result in a 'lift and shift'. For example, if the engineer achieves a problem free authentication from my premises then why would he bother with a 'lift and shift'?

I appreciate that whilst Zen and I may be communicating I probably lack technical knowledge and understanding and I may be over-assessing the possibility of charges.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Mar-14 12:53:40
Print Post

What I'm suggesting is that the process has already resulted in a lift and shift being agreed. It just needs to be actioned. Maybe you can ask Zen to either confirm that or else say what will happen, once support resumes.

Standard User lexden16
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 16:27:48
Print Post

Thanks - I have done. My concern is probably overstated and my knowledge of SFI visits is zilch but a potential £220 charge does make one think. It would be cheaper to get a second line and BB.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 15-Mar-14 19:19:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I wouldn't have been with Zen in the first place.

Why?

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to