User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 31-Mar-14 09:36:36
Print Post

/29 IPv4 allocation still available on ADSL?

[link to this post]

I used to have a /29 allocation when I was last with Zen for ADSL.

I notice the regrade option is still available on the regrade wizard, is this still available with ADSL?

Thinking about getting a Raspberry PI and setting it up as a small mail server connected to my network.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Geordish
(learned) Mon 31-Mar-14 09:59:55
Print Post

Re: /29 IPv4 allocation still available on ADSL?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

It is still available. I think you may have to call to request it however.

There may be an admin fee for changing it, and it is very likely you will lose your current address.
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:46:21
Print Post

Could you not use port forwarding?

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:53:31
Print Post

Also be aware that their website advises that when provisioning a /29 (or any network), Zen will publicly place your details in the RIPE whois database for that network. If this bothers you, you may want to just go with what Phil has suggested and use port forwarding.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Mon 31-Mar-14 13:40:45)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 31-Mar-14 13:15:27
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I shall probably use port forwarding yes but noticed the option was still there (as I was also thinking about regrading to active from lite) so just thought I'd ask.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Mar-14 15:27:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
I used to have a /29 allocation when I was last with Zen for ADSL.

I notice the regrade option is still available on the regrade wizard, is this still available with ADSL?

Thinking about getting a Raspberry PI and setting it up as a small mail server connected to my network.
Why the need for a /29?

I just use port forwarding and my single IPv4 address supports SMTP, POP3, FTP and HTTP.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
  Print Thread

Jump to