User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 08-May-14 19:55:13
Print Post

Best way to recover lost 400k of sync on LLU

[link to this post]

Inadvertently dislodged one of my ADSL cables (that goes from a surge protector to my modem/router) causing it to lose sync while cleaning the cabling under my desk.

It caused the sync to fall to 3555 Kbps from 3975 which reduced my throughput to 3.10 from 3.40.

I tried turning the router off for a couple of hours and a reboot at various times of the day but only managed to recover the sync after a reboot today at 4 p.m. ish.

Is there an easier way to do this if the problem occurs again?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-May-14 08:32:54
Print Post

Re: Best way to recover lost 400k of sync on LLU

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

What was your SNR before you lost sync, was it the same with the 400k loss?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StructuredCommunications Bonded FTTC 74.5Mbps Download & 22.4Mbps Upload.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 09:17:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
Inadvertently dislodged one of my ADSL cables (that goes from a surge protector to my modem/router) causing it to lose sync while cleaning the cabling under my desk.

It caused the sync to fall to 3555 Kbps from 3975 which reduced my throughput to 3.10 from 3.40.

I tried turning the router off for a couple of hours and a reboot at various times of the day but only managed to recover the sync after a reboot today at 4 p.m. ish.

Is there an easier way to do this if the problem occurs again?

Now is the time to look over these interconnects. If just cleaning around them causes a problem perhaps it would be a good idea to check. just waggling a rj11 plug should not cause a router to loose sink.
Short neat cabling looks better and works better. get a crimp tool and a bag of plugs and get weaving.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 13:48:20
Print Post

Have you tried without the surge protector in place? It's a risk to the router, but some of these can reduce synch speed (not the cause of the issue you're seeing, but just saying). Others don't seem to make a difference.

As another poster already asked, when is your SNRM? If it's above 6db, then DLM may have got upset and increased your line profile.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 19:11:56
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

Yep looks like the spring loading on the socket on the surge is a bit weak so not holding the connector securely.

I've ordered a cheap ADSL surge protector.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 10-May-14 14:50:15
Print Post

on many isp supplied cables these cable connectors break very easily and as such become loose.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 10-May-14 15:05:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

While I'm sure all the kit Zen supply is of the finest quality I use my own router (Billion 7800N), cables (Tandy twisted pair ADSL leads) and one of their pro microfilters.

The socket is on a 10 way surge protected tower extension lead.

Print Thread

Jump to