User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dualcore
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 11:33:47
Print Post

slow OE since fibre in the cabinet

[link to this post]

At zen 19117 we pay an annual fee to have our two pc's sort out their mails, XXXXXXX@zen.co.uk is my wife Moira and I am Bruce on YYYYYYY@zen.co.uk and Bruce is creating this e-mail. Because I am sending an attachment my OE will be extra slow

The arrangement means that she gets her e-mails and only her e-mails --- and I get mine and only mine

It is s-l-o-w and had been so very slow on Outlook Express ever since we went on to fibre in the cabinet. My wife has now noticed that if she is switched on and I am switched off then she gets normal speeds on her e-mail. But the converse is not so, my speeds are s-l-o-w whether or not she is switched on or off.

Can you tell me what I can look for? (I notice that I need to double this to Forums as well as Zen Tech) Thankyou, Bruce +++

[b/red] Me dim as an 85-year-old Toc-H lamp
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 14-May-14 11:30:48
Print Post

Re: slow OE since fibre in the cabinet

[re: Dualcore] [link to this post]

Is it slow slow when you attach the file to the email, or slow to send the email with the file attached?

If the former, this sounds like a PC issue. If the latter, then possibly a line issue. What are your speedtest results like?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User Dualcore
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 14:25:34
Print Post

It is slow for ordinary OE but it is mega slow if there is an attachment and double mega slow if there are several attachments, this help?

How long does it to take to get back working after turning off the router, pausing for a minute and then re-booting the router, I make it three minutes after switching the router back on, is that normal? Bruce +++

Me dim as an 85-year-old Toc-H lamp

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dualcore
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 14:44:57
Print Post

My Zen-supplied router (not new when I went to fibre, they said it was OK for the job), well I notice I get a nil-connection when I put the clicky wires into slot two. So I avoid using this slot. Could this be bothersome? Bruce +++

Standard User flippery
(committed) Wed 14-May-14 14:56:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dualcore:
My Zen-supplied router (not new when I went to fibre, they said it was OK for the job), well I notice I get a nil-connection when I put the clicky wires into slot two. So I avoid using this slot. Could this be bothersome? Bruce +++

Have you tried swapping the connection you have to router with the one your wife has.

Outlook

Try opening the application in safe mode and check if you are able to attach the files,

Click start->all programs->accessories->Run->type Outlook /safe

NB there is a space after outlook.

Do you still get same slow attachment?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-May-14 16:04:41
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

It's not
In reply to a post by flippery:
Outlook /safe
it's msimn /safe for OE!

I never knew of that option. What's it do exactly?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-May-14 16:11:11
Print Post

Do you and your wife have the same SMTP servers in your OEs? Look in Tools/Accounts.../ name of @zen.co.uk a/c / Servers/SMTP.

I'll repeat a Q you were asked but not answered: Is it slow slow when you attach the file to the email, or slow to send the email with the file attached?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Dualcore
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 16:12:01
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

I have done this, it gives me OE 2000 or OE6 but the first is just a message from Windows itself and the second is covered in red crosses --- so this does nothing? I cannot create an e-mail to attach an attachment Bruce +++

Standard User flippery
(committed) Wed 14-May-14 17:05:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It's not
In reply to a post by flippery:
Outlook /safe
it's msimn /safe for OE!

I never knew of that option. What's it do exactly?

Your right. Many years since I used Outlook. Seems now integrated as part of windows. Just
Safe Mode without extensions.
Never use integrated mail, just webmail safer and easier. Can access all mail addresses I have from 1 login anywhere

Edited by flippery (Wed 14-May-14 17:06:40)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-May-14 18:57:17
Print Post

For outlook express you can start logging

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176548

use google for additional details. Basically you can write all POP or SMTP logs to a file to attempt to show why your service is taking so long to send, receive files.

You can also use the DRTCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp to reset your MTU value to work with the faster broadband connection. Sorry I have not used that for a while. I am assuming as you are using outlook express you are still using windows XP/Vista. Win7/8 auto tunes the settings.

I would also perform a speed test for download/upload using the ZEN checker service. Again its been a while since I use that but it was speedtest.zen.co.uk Check that the normal non email speed of your PC to the internet is correct.

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to