User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User The_Captain
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 15:13:45
Print Post

Slow connection via VPN

[link to this post]

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I have Zen Fibre Unlimited 1 and so far it's been brilliant.

However I work from home and I connect to the office via VPN. Despite having an upload speed of 9mbps when I access the office network I'm lucky if I get a tenth of this. The IT department have asked me to find out if Zen are limiting encrypted data. I wouldn't have thought so but you never know.

If the encrypted data isn't being limited is there anywas of finding out where the bottleneck is?

- Garry
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-May-14 18:37:38
Print Post

Re: Slow connection via VPN

[re: The_Captain] [link to this post]

No Zen don't limit encrypted data.

I'd bet 99% of the time it is something wrong with the way the company have set up the VPN or the equipment they are using. They may have given you a router which isn't very good at the VPN, or is incompatible, or their VPN appliance/server is overloaded or not configured properly, etc. You're going to have to put the ball back in their court.

Zen 8000 Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-May-14 23:38:49
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

First question should be what download and upload speeds does the company connection have, and how many people on it....with FTTC it is possible that the company connection is the bottleneck

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 14-May-14 11:33:43
Print Post

I've VPN'd from a 100MB/s "broadband" fibre connection in Sweden (sole use), to a 100MB/s metro ethernet connection, which is underutilised. All I manage is 8MB/s down and 1MB/s up. (Cisco client to VPN concentrator)

Must be a configuration thing, as my figures are far to close to basic ADSL for my liking!

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-May-14 12:52:08
Print Post

As others have said looks like a limit on a single connection being triggered

As an example:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10895371/...

IanD
Standard User The_Captain
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 15:07:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using a peice of software called Cisco VPN Client.

Since the problem dosen't lie with Zen and is a little outwith my expertiese - I'll bat it back to the IT department.

- Cheers
Garry
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-May-14 18:36:38
Print Post

I use that for work also and do not get the same issue. The client comes with a tool to collect and send your PC / VPN setup to the technical teams. that may help. The web link I sent you also is set on the cisco server, so something is going on.

IanD
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-May-14 23:11:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
First question should be what download and upload speeds does the company connection have, and how many people on it....with FTTC it is possible that the company connection is the bottleneck

Very likely indeed, seems like a nonsense thing to say "Oh your ISP must be slowing down VPN traffic" - one would expect any competent IT department to know that Zen internet aren't going to be doing this.

Good test is to pull a file down from the internet using the company VPN and then same file when not on company VPN... Compare the difference, sometimes the difference is amazing!

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to