User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-May-14 13:12:55
Print Post

Zen say no demand for ipv6 - do you agree?

[link to this post]

Zen have recently said that they will not be introducing ipv6 as there is no demand.

Is there any interest in ipv6, if not for production, then at least for testing?

Comments welcome

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited)
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 30-May-14 17:53:43
Print Post

Re: Zen say no demand for ipv6 - do you agree?

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

Plus 1. Worked well for me in the past on a Fritz!Box 7390. Seamless on Apple products which for dual IP sites will normally select the faster loading site. Don't ask me how Apple do it?
Standard User summat
(member) Fri 30-May-14 18:18:39
Print Post

Do want.

Had it on Entanet for at least 5 years. Many gigs a month of v6. Since moving to Zen I've had to use a tunnel for it. I'd love to have it natively again!

I also think it's a little shortsighted that they've not even got a roadmap for it when so many other ISP's have either got it implemented by default (AAISP, IDNet etc) or are well on the way to having it available to all (Plusnet, BT, Sky, Entanet and many others)

I have a friend who outright disregarded Zen due to lack of a roadmap. I'm sure he isn't the only one who has stayed away because of it either.

Edited by summat (Fri 30-May-14 18:21:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awoodland
(regular) Fri 30-May-14 19:49:16
Print Post

It's a shame to see an otherwise competent ISP burying their head in the sand like this.

I've consciously not purchased a non IPv6 enabled service since 2008, which has ruled Zen out every time.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-May-14 21:24:17
Print Post

Odd thing to say but perhaps read into it more. Is Zen just saying there is no demand meaning that the average customers doesn't know or care?

There is probably only 3-5% that actually know what IPv6 is and why it will be needed in the future. I doubt there are any IPv6 only sites/services so at the moment there is no need for residential ISP's to provide IPv6 as standard.

Have a IPv6 tunnel at work but I know of one web site I use that doesn't load if I have IPv6 enabled on my PC so I disabled it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User zeb99
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 22:42:28
Print Post

This is extremely disappointing. I was seriously considering Zen for my imminent migration to FTTC.

My current ISP it would appear also has no plans. When asked, I have had responses like:

"We are 100% compliant with IPv6 but have no plans to implement it just yet.'

and:

"We appreciate your concerns regarding IPv6 but would like to re-assure you that we as an ISP have plenty of IPv4 addresses remaining."

I registered to be on their trial list 15 months ago but have yet to hear anything. I can only assume that they're not even trialling it yet.

This attitude is extremely shortsighted. My ISP may have plenty of IPv4 addresses however the problems start when I need to connect to a server where they don't.

Thankfully I currently have a tunnel to he.net with a /48 (1.2 septillion addresses, slightly more than you could shake a stick at)!
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 15:28:55
Print Post

I know IPV6 is coming, but the issue is it has been coming since the late 1990's, but still not here.
Are there any valuable sites which are IPV6 only. When some of these sites announce cut off dates for IPV4 , this is then the IPV6 roll out will escalate.

Pipex(dial up => adsl) => Nildram => Zen

Visit my IT Blog Lets Blog about IT
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 16:35:48
Print Post

[re: AndrewW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndrewW:
I know IPV6 is coming, but the issue is it has been coming since the late 1990's, but still not here.

Yes, but things are different than the 90s, for starters IANA have reached IPv4 exhaustion and AFAIK even Comcast - one of the largest, and most hated, ISPs in the US is rolling out IPv6 across its whole broadband network(may even have finished?). Why shouldn't customers have the option of IPv6? Soon we'll have the Internet of things and that'll add more impetus for addresses. If small ISPs, like Aquiss for example, can pull their finger out then how about Zen?
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 16:57:24
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

HI Spud2003 , Haven't we discussed this before, was it you looking for a trial of IPV6 ??? apologies if i have not remembered correctly.

I agree that IPV6 is coming, but its glacial movement (very slowly).
In my view there is nothing that is driving this.
let's look at the internet of things.

CCTV , Fridges (some of which spam email look it up is quite funny it it was not so serious), washing machines., bins, tablets, TVs, TV boxes sky for example. All of these (except CCTV) do not require inbound connections. If their are reporting its typically to a web site, which may contact the user by various means. There there is the wearable tech, most this interfaces via Bluetooth to mobile device, Again, no need for additional IP addresses. The limiting factor may be the default class C subnet common on most routers, i.e 192.168.0.1, but there are other options to enlarge this.

Until a number of large sites make it clear of their intention to disable IPV4 usage then there will be no need for IPV6.
When that time happens then the migration will be swift, and some ISPs who do not have a good plan in place will be in trouble. I suspect Zen would have done a lot of work in the back ground , and are purchasing IPV6 compliant devices, but have chosen to put on the the deployed project.

Pipex(dial up => adsl) => Nildram => Zen

Visit my IT Blog Lets Blog about IT
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jun-14 19:42:11
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I speculate a very simple reason why - Zen have core pieces network/broadband aggregation equipment that does not support IPv6.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to