User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dualcore
(learned) Sun 08-Jun-14 15:30:25
Print Post

This is IPv6

[link to this post]

We don't know what IPv6 is ? I hadn't even heard of it. Here is the answer, have a nice day

Quote from Wikipedia :-- "Every device on the Internet is assigned an IP address for identification and location definition. With the ever-increasing number of new devices being connected to the Internet, the need arose for more addresses than the IPv4 address space has available. IPv6 uses a 128-bit address, allowing 2128, or approximately 3.41038 addresses, or more than 7.91028 times as many as IPv4, which uses 32-bit addresses. IPv4 provides approximately 4.3 billion addresses. The two protocols are not designed to be interoperable, complicating the transition to IPv6." End of quote

Me dim as an 85-year-old Toc-H lamp
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Jun-14 17:35:18
Print Post

Re: This is IPv6

[re: Dualcore] [link to this post]

"The two protocols are not designed to be interoperable"

eh.... I thought they were

IanD
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jun-14 17:41:38
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Nope. You have to either do address translation or run the two side by side in order to be able to use both.

Try going to an IPv6-only site using IPv4, or vice-versa. See what happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 13:45:17
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

nm tongue

Edited by Spud2003 (Mon 09-Jun-14 13:48:08)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 18:25:56
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In the spec you can construct a full IPv6 address from an IPv4 address and given the correct translation adapters, these are supposed to work together. It was the statement of "The two protocols are not designed to be interoperable" is therefore not actually correct. They were designed to work together. Should you and would you are 2 different things.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to