Now I've been on Sky for a few months since they switched me from Be. Never had a problem with Be. On Sky however, every time I upload, my connection dies - no download throughput. No pings.
So enoughs enough.
Got my MAC Code.
Got a choice between Zen and PlusNet. Zen for excellent service, PlusNet for price.
I got the tale of joy from PlusNet, but there's still something about £23 without a phone line that still seems a bit cheap for Unlimited. I recall the days I was on PlusNet ADSL many years back before Be and their "throttling" or "traffic management" solution stopped me from downloading from iTunes until midnight because it thought I was filesharing.
Don't want that again!
So the choices. I really don't want to move the phoneline to Zen, definitely not moving it to PlusNet. Zen look quite reasonable in their phone charges. So....
Going off the top package:
1) Move to Zen - £30 a month + £15~ line rental, 12 month contract, known great service.
2) Move to PlusNet - £23 a month, we keep the BT line which my dad pays, 18 month contract, known to use "traffic management" because they think they know what's important to you. + £50 activation + £5 Static IP once off. -£25 cash back. = £30.
So Zen would cost me £30 (my dad would still pay the line rental) a month.
PlusNet we're looking around £25 a month all in over the 18 months.
So it seems the three issues:
1) Unknown quantity on PlusNet network - will their traffic prioritisation be OK for me?
2) Moving telephone line to Zen - we've never monkeyed around with our phone line for 30 years and we don't want to lose the number, ever, and would want the flexbility of being able to move back to BT and back to my dad's name.
3) 18 month contract of PlusNet vs 12 of Zen.
Zen is looking like the better option, Im just not sure about issue 2 above