User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 03:23:22
Print Post

Re: Zen vs PlusNet

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

The Zen Freeola combination is the best I have found so far,

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 12:50:04
Print Post

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

>2) PlusNet Traffic Management concerns

As Plusnet prioritise rather than rate limit traffic what's the issue?
Standard User sjdean
(member) Sun 06-Jul-14 16:29:56
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
>2) PlusNet Traffic Management concerns

As Plusnet prioritise rather than rate limit traffic what's the issue?

Well I guess if you build a network around streaming and voip, what do you do for people who want to download an ISO? And Im talking Fedora here.

I don't like the idea of being penalised because the bandwidth Im using isn't as important as streaming so Im second class. That's why a less managed network is more appealing to me. But I think at the moment, the price is winning over.

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 19:13:36
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Having used both Plusnet and Zen (among others) I'd pay a bit more and plump for Zen every time, as in my experience when I've had issues they get things sorted quick.

Also find the line rental excellent value.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 06-Jul-14 19:20:33)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 19:41:46
Print Post

You aren't penalised, as you would be if you were rate limited, your Fedora download will run at max speed. Just noticed your post in the Plusnet forum, the replies you got there were accurate.
Standard User sjdean
(member) Sun 06-Jul-14 20:07:05
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Yeah, we use them at work and really happy with them there. But, the price just kind of edges them out, I thought the phone was going to be a better value too, which might have balanced things out a bit, but with no inclusive minutes, seems a bit... well.... err.... no.... Haven't fully decided. Really not sure how happy I'll be on an 18 month contract.

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 20:43:43
Print Post

They do 5,000 inclusive minutes for little more than BT line rental, with NO 60 minute cap to trigger call charges. I have made a five hour call with no charge.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jul-14 07:49:10
Print Post

PlusNet block websites. It is one of the reasons I will not return to them (they were my very first broadband provider around a decade ago) as I do not believe it is right to have particular parts of the net censored just because government wishes it to be so.

See my sig (blocked.org.uk) to check if any sites you frequent will be blocked on PlusNet.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (BQMv4) | IPv6 via HE (BQMv6) | 60/20Mb FTTC
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jul-14 07:54:58
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Only once served with the court order which is usually to their parent BT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jul-14 13:55:15
Print Post

If you want reassurance about how unlimited Plusnet Unlimited is check out this post: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4341189-r...

There's no issue with traffic prioritisation (it only comes in to play when you are maxing out your line - your speeds are not affected by other users (excluding BT bottlenecks which affect all ISPs except LLU)), limits on how much you download (I'm expecting more posts from people shifting > 1TB per month) or prety much any other technical aspects.

Where there is an issue is the length of the phone call queues and the time they are taking to respond to tickets. Plusnet customer numbers are growing faster than their support can cope with at present. They have a new support centre in Leeds but it's taking time for the situation to improve.

Summary: when it works it's great, if you have issues it can be frustrating at present.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to