User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rubberchicken
(member) Tue 22-Jul-14 21:25:10
Print Post

Router Recommendation

[link to this post]

Hey folks, been with Zen quite a few years now, still on oldschool adsl1 though, looking to upgrade to vdsl2+ (I think that's what fttc is?).

I've an old (but good) Cisco 837 running at present, nicely configured for snmp (for graphing/monitoring purposes) and such via IOS. I'd like a similar, but more modern Cisco (or something as good) that has about equivalent configuration abilities (as in tons), but including wireless functionality, too. It would be preferable if the wireless antennas were removable to allow for external antennas (or extension cables for externally-mounted indoor antennas) to be plugged in as I've a property about 100 metres away, in line-of-sight, that I'd like to be able to reach too if possible.

So, does anyone with experience with this kind of hardware have any input on what's good out there these days? Are there any good Cisco routers still about, or should I be looking elsewhere? I'm really not clued-up at all at present as I've not really followed things for years.

Cheers.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Tue 22-Jul-14 21:47:36
Print Post

Re: Router Recommendation

[re: rubberchicken] [link to this post]

Before you mentioned the requirement of integrated wireless i was thinking the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite might be a good fit. It runs EdgeOS which is a fork of Vyatta (a networking-specific variant of Debian).

If you're willing to pair it with an external wireless AP (Ubiquiti also sell their own that are feature rich and well regarded), it would still be my recommendation.

I'm not familiar with Cisco IOS, but EdgeOS/Vyatta command-line configuration is supposedly somewhat similar (although more similar to Juniper's JunOS) and, as it's Debian-based, you have access to the software repositories if you want to make it do something beyond the capabilities of the base system.

The Edgerouter and Unifi access points over VLANs are probably what i'm going to switch to when i next upgrade. The Edgerouter also crushed a Cisco 3925 costing 65 times more. ^_^

Edited by rhetherington (Tue 22-Jul-14 21:48:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:51:11
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Asus RT-N66U £105 over on Amazon

A beast of a device and take a look at Merlin, Tomato or DD-WRT firmware which gives you possibly way more config options than you need. Wireless antenna detach, and even space for a micro SD on the PCB for some nifty internal NAS storage.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nadina
(newbie) Wed 23-Jul-14 03:01:49
Print Post

Hi! bro
Would you mind to change a style? According to your request, reminds me of the recently launched HUAWEI E8278, but this is the router with modem, supports the power adapter, the coverage of about 100 meters, if you do not like, Huawei E5186 might be a good choice, it's download speed can up to 300Mbps.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Wed 23-Jul-14 07:21:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm a big fan of Tomato, used it for many years, but the problem is that it's hampered by using the proprietary wireless drivers and so is stuck on an ancient kernel lacking modern features. Tomato also uses NVRAM to store configuration which is limited to 32KB (60KB on newer devices) which may be an issue if the OP wants to configure it up the wazoo.

If the OP wants to go with a consumer router then i'd recommend something that can run OpenWrt. OpenWrt is a full-fledged embedded Linux distribution with configuration done in text files in the file system (can also be configured by web GUI or command-line UCI). It uses opensource wireless drivers and comes with a recent kernel (Barrier Breaker currently has 3.10.44).

If "N" wireless is sufficient then i'd say the TP-Link WDR4900 is still the best router out there. It uses a powerful PPC processor rather than the weedy MIPS processors most routers use and the processor has crypto extensions which should boost throughput if the OP runs any kind of VPN server on it.

I still think that, for a power-user, the Ubiquiti route is the way to go though.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:24:27
Print Post

This Cisco 887VA-W does VDSL2+ and wireless.

I run a non wireless 887VA on a Zen FTTC connection without the Openreach modem and will be running a second from a week tomorrow. The current connection is a long way from the cabinet so only gets about 36Mbps down. The new connection should get at least 72Mbps so that will allow me to get a better idea of throughput.

I should add that neither 887VA runs NAT, VPN or firewalling so the processor load will be lower than if used as a one box solution.

The Cisco 867VAE also does VDSL2+ but there's no wireless. There are two advantages over the 887VA; it has a gigabit ethernet port and it doesn't have a fan. You would have to have a separate wireless access point but that would allow you to get a dual band product.

Another forum member, jonathanjo, has an 867VAE running on Zen FTTC without the Openreach modem.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Wed 23-Jul-14 08:40:21)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:35:49
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

VDSL2+ ?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:41:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's early, I meant VDSL2

I'm too decaffeinated to think straight

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:46:47
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks, I was beginning to think a new standard had been added without telling me shocked

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User copex
(committed) Wed 23-Jul-14 18:49:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Asus RT-N66U £105 over on Amazon

A beast of a device and take a look at Merlin, Tomato or DD-WRT firmware which gives you possibly way more config options than you need. Wireless antenna detach, and even space for a micro SD on the PCB for some nifty internal NAS storage.

+1 for the asus,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to