User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Assegai
(member) Fri 25-Jul-14 13:12:26
Print Post

Move to Zen Fibre Unlimited how reliable are Zen?

[link to this post]

I've been with IDNet for 9 or 10 years now and they have served me well in that time. However due to the need for more bandwidth it's looking like they can no longer provide what I need for a price thats not too steep.

I know you get what you pay for which is why I'm looking to Zen, I've seen them compared to IDNET numerous times over the years and it seems the two companies have similar principles when it comes to quality of service and customer service.

To the point then, due to other family members now aquiring tablets and discovering the joys of youtube streaming and such, my usage of Netflix and downloading large game files from the Playstation Network I'm finding the 100GB cap per month a bit of a squeeze and at £1GB for extra usage, that could be one large bill.

For roughly the same price as upgrading to IDNETs fibre offering, 78meg 100GB usage I see Zen offer an unlimited product, which would bring me peace of mind and give me more for the virutally same money from an ISP with what looks like a solid reputation,

So are Zen are good as I think they are? Recommed moving to Zen from ID? Its not all about price obviously, talktalk, bt, plusnet etc don't get a look in with me, regardless of how cheap they are.

Sorry if I banged on a bit and thanks for any advice smile

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jul-14 14:44:22
Print Post

Re: Move to Zen Fibre Unlimited how reliable are Zen?

[re: Assegai] [link to this post]

Plusnet is offering Unlimited Fibre Extra for just £19.99 if u bring the phone over with them. But, they now offering discount with first 9 months of £12.50 then there after at £19.99 for the remaining of 9 months with 18 months contract.
Standard User RichTea23
(newbie) Fri 25-Jul-14 14:53:50
Print Post

I have been with Zen for a 10ish years and never had a problem, there support is very good. There has been no more then 1 or 2 Major outages in all that time. More BT tail related ones but no provider and account for the madness that is BT.

Various (Dile up) -> clara.net (Dile up) -> TELE2 (Microwave) -> ZeN (ADSL)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WishPerfect
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Jul-14 17:59:54
Print Post

I've been with Zen for about 14 years. I have recently (days) had the Fibre 2 Unlimited fitted for exactly your reasons, with Netflix taken it was running us up to 200gb and that was half way through the month! So Fibre being unlimited was good.

Zen is not the cheapest option but every time I have had to speak to them, things have been resolved and I've been happy. I wouldn't entertain talktalk or BT and I am dubious about BT owning PlusNet.

Another consideration that made it best for me was the inconvenience of changing providers. You can measure how good the ISP is by these forums, I've never seen many complaints in here.

Give them a ring? See how you feel then. It's your money and it is a 12 month contract.

"My God...it's full of stars"

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K

Edited by WishPerfect (Fri 25-Jul-14 23:31:30)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 25-Jul-14 18:06:52
Print Post

Go for Zen. You can leave after 12 months. You are not required to use their phone service but will have to pay a bit more for the broadband. English speaking staff who try hard to keep their customers happy.

It is true that there are bargain basement broadband deals around and many would say you would be mad not to save more than a few quid against premium price suppliers. I've been brought up viewing free lunches with suspicion so the best ever deal from BT and introductory offers from PlusNet just don't cut it for me. Maybe the men in white coats will be coming my way soon.
Standard User WishPerfect
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Jul-14 18:20:01
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I didn't take the phone line - it adds a few pounds to the bill each month if you don't though. But it is a 12 month contract instead of 18. I also think the 'surcharge' may be removed if I renew a contract next year.

"My God...it's full of stars"

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 25-Jul-14 19:46:08
Print Post

I was with IDNet for 5 years including a year on FTTC. I confess that I got fed up with the frequent e-mail outages, limited support hours and poor communication with customers so I moved to Zen nearly two years ago. I have never had an issue with speeds - even during periods of high demand such as the Olympics and World Cup. E- mail is a constant. I had a major issue with my connection in March when my line would not authenticate properly (CHAPS authentication failure). Once we had got passed the usual 'have you tested this and that etc' an engineer took the bull by the horns and arranged for a lift and shift. This achieved nothing. There were then high- level discussions between ZEn, BTOR and BTW which resulted in BTW carrying out a radius server re-build ( cease and re-provide).

All ISPs have their downsides. Zen does not offer IPv6 or IMAP e-mail.

Will I be moving on soon? No - I think that Zen offers a first-class BB service which IMHO exceeds that offered by IDNet. I have their 80/20 Unlimitecd Service but, as yet, have not exceeded my old limit. It is though a few pence cheaper than it was a year ago.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Jul-14 21:48:00
Print Post

Was with Zen years ago when on ADSL 20CN. They were excellent then.

Re-joined them a couple of months ago with FTTC. Nothing has changed; just as excellent.

Service just works, is fast and reliable. No disappointments here. smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jul-14 09:55:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Assegai:
I've been with IDNet for 9 or 10 years now and they have served me well in that time. However due to the need for more bandwidth it's looking like they can no longer provide what I need for a price thats not too steep.

I know you get what you pay for which is why I'm looking to Zen, I've seen them compared to IDNET numerous times over the years and it seems the two companies have similar principles when it comes to quality of service and customer service.

I moved from IDNet to Zen almost a year ago for exactly that reason. I was fed up with continually monitoring my usage to make sure I didn't cross over the 100GB limit.

The move to Zen took place without any trouble, and I am very happy to be back in the Zen fold again. Yes, they are expensive, they don't have ipv6 (although they have been "promising" it for 8 years) and they don't support imap mail, but they have an excellent tech support, and don't read from scripts when you have a problem. Also, they don't have traffic shaping

Give them a ring...

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited- but no ipv6)

Edited by ukwiz (Sat 26-Jul-14 09:57:13)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:24:44
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

I know Zen are far too expensive in my view but there is nothing wrong with Plusnet unlimited fibre extra (up to 76Mbps down and up to 19Mbps up) and it cheaper than Zen because how often u need tech support in the next 12 months / 18 months? So, Zen overpricing and better service is about the same as Plusnet. So, I am glad I got cheaper broadband with Plusnet. End of.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to