User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Deadite66
(newbie) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:23:04
Print Post

My fibre upgrade story.

[link to this post]

Booked the upgrade in the 8am to pm slot, woke up nice an early in case they arrived at 8am :-/
they eventually turned up up at 3:15pm, better late than never.

He asked where the pack was assuming i was with BT, i told him i was with Zen and just needed the modem,
annoyed he said they are supposed to tell him things like this, i got a bit worried thinking he might not have a modem
leaving me without internet (he'd already gone to the green cabinet to switch things over).
luckily he'd came back with a modem and got to work switching over the face plate.

the modem doesn't come with an ethernet cable meaning i had to use one of my own, i have plenty but someone
else in this situation might not be as prepared so this really needs sorting out.

happier this morning after a lay in and getting 73Mbps down and 18Mbps up, from reading other story's on the net
this is something to expect with BT contractors.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2.

Edited by Deadite66 (Tue 19-Aug-14 12:24:22)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:52:41
Print Post

Re: My fibre upgrade story.

[re: Deadite66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadite66:
the modem doesn't come with an ethernet cable meaning i had to use one of my own, i have plenty but someone else in this situation might not be as prepared so this really needs sorting out.
Presumably if you buy the router from Zen then that comes with an ethernet cable.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 13:07:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Presumably if you buy the router from Zen then that comes with an ethernet cable.

Correct.

I dont think i have ever seen an FTTC modem come with a RJ45 cable. Where the EU is providing there own router, they should also provide the ancillary equipment. EG cables!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StructuredCommunications Bonded FTTC 74.5Mbps Download & 22.4Mbps Upload.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadite66
(newbie) Tue 19-Aug-14 13:45:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

and then what would you use to connect the router to a pc?

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2.

Edited by Deadite66 (Tue 19-Aug-14 13:46:49)

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 15:32:41
Print Post

the modem doesn't come with an ethernet cable meaning i had to use one of my own, i have plenty but someone else in this situation might not be as prepared so this really needs sorting out.

The Openreach modem does come with a cable. I assume what's happened there is the guy happened to have one on his van, but he was assuming it was a BT integrated install, where he wouldn't need one. Given my experience, most BT engineers think Infinity is all that exists because everyone has been duped into believing they are the best choice and/or often only choice.

You prob just had what he had floating around.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 15:57:34
Print Post

Supposed to have a white Ethernet cable with red ends. I've had both they supply and each one has had one - the idea being when you move you leave it behind.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 17:33:31
Print Post

I had bigger problems when I had an install at home three weeks ago. I'd already replaced the master socket (don't tell BT!) with a new NTE5A and installed a VDSL Mk2 interstitial filter and was running ADSL though it quite happily.

The engineer, from Kelly, realized he didn't have a huge amount to do as I'd already got sync at 79987/19999 and a working connection by the time he was outside as he did the cabinet side first.

He was curious to see what equipment I was running (Cisco 887VA-M-K9 wihout an Openreach modem into a 19" rack mount hardware firewall) so I showed him my comms cupboard. Well, he took one look at it and told me that although he had a degree in telecommunications engineering he hadn't a clue how to set up anything like I had and could I teach him?

He then made it very clear he wanted me as his girlfriend crazy. After about half an hour of chatting on matters scientific and religious, I think he finally had the good sense to give up on me as he was happy-clappy god squad and I'm really rather not wink

After sorting out an annoying PMTU black hole problem (which I don't get on other Zen connections which have Zen backhaul - mine has BT) I left things running. After a brief drop in sync speed because of all the ups and downs in the first day while I diagnosed the black hole problem it's back at 79987/19999 and has remained synced at that speed for two weeks;

DS Channel1	  DS Channel0	US Channel1	  US Channel0
Speed (kbps):	          0	       79987	         0	       19999
SRA Previous Speed:       0	       72534	         0	       19999
Previous Speed:	          0	       72534	         0	       19999
Reed-Solomon EC:          0	           0	         0	        7012
CRC Errors:	          0	        3413	         0	         193
Header Errors:	          0	        2335	         0	           0
Interleave (ms):       0.00	        0.00	      0.00	        0.00
Actual INP:	       0.00	        0.00	      0.00	        0.00

Active    Idle
  Line           User               Service       Time      Time
  vty 8          sarah              VTY           00:11:02  00:00:00  
  Vi2            dsl2.wh-man        PPPoE         2w0d      00:00:04

Apart from my latency, which is dreadful compared to the other Zen connections I run which have Zen backhaul, I'm very happy.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3671120538

As for engineer time keeping, I asked for a PM slot, which was confirmed, and he rang me just before 11am to say he was already at the cabinet.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Tue 19-Aug-14 17:35:45)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Aug-14 17:47:31
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
He then made it very clear he wanted me as his girlfriend crazy.
I think Openreach should be concerned about this. It's obviously a hazard in all walks of life for women. I see policemen are being currently reprimanded for sending friend requests to victims of crime frown

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 19:09:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
He then made it very clear he wanted me as his girlfriend crazy.
I think Openreach should be concerned about this. It's obviously a hazard in all walks of life for women. I see policemen are being currently reprimanded for sending friend requests to victims of crime frown

Yes but 2 totally different things, A BT engineer does not swear an oath to act professional at all times and to serve the queen..

Mind you a BT engineer is the only one who can go anywhere near my house without a warrant.

Also (as I saw the other night about 11PM on the A4042) some BT Engineers think that they are advanced driver trained and therefore have a right to speed and drive irractially.

Both shall meet and sort this issue out - as I got it all on my dashcam and uploaded it to our local force.

Sarah, I am just a business man with 3 personalities and I also have a small comms rack with 19inch beauties, marry me? tongue
Standard User Dave_Evanson
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Aug-14 21:32:07
Print Post

The Zen router had two Ethernet cables – white with red plugs and white with yellow plugs to match the colour coding on the TG789vn3.

The modem didn’t appear to come with an Ethernet cable – the BT engineer asked me if I had a cable so I used the white/red cable. Don’t know if I had said “no” he would have got one from the van, but I didn’t want to take the chance he would leave before I checked everything was working.

Print Thread

Jump to