User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nrms
(member) Thu 18-Sep-14 19:43:12
Print Post

Caller Display ID on Home Talk

[link to this post]

We have Zen Home Talk, and recently bought a TrueCall call Screening & Blocking device which relies on Caller Display ID being available on our phone line.

As it doesn't seem to be working properly (our Star List callers, ie friends and family with known tel numbers programmed into the device, are not being passed through as they should be); I can only assume that we don't currently have Caller Display set on our phone line.

Do Zen support this? How do I go about getting it turned on?

Thanks
Nigel Smith

(I emailed Customer Services about this 48 hours ago, but no response so far)

Edited by nrms (Thu 18-Sep-14 19:45:21)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Sep-14 20:23:34
Print Post

Re: Caller Display ID on Home Talk

[re: nrms] [link to this post]

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-service...

Seems to be 90p extra per month (inc VAT) for the Caller ID option.

EDIT: Found the above under the "Features & Benefits" tab further down the page.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Thu 18-Sep-14 20:24:28)

Standard User Jax2
(regular) Thu 18-Sep-14 22:45:28
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Ring Zen up to order it, as said 90p pm.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nrms
(member) Fri 19-Sep-14 08:33:59
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link, which somehow I missed when I was looking for info earlier.
Bit annoying that it's a chargeable item since I understand it is FOC on BT these days, but at least Zen's Line Rental Charge is a lot lower than most other suppliers.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Sep-14 08:44:19
Print Post

it's only free on BT if you take a twelve month line rental contract. If you aren't on contract it costs £1.75 a month.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Fri 19-Sep-14 08:44:53)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 19-Sep-14 11:41:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by nrms:
We have Zen Home Talk, and recently bought a TrueCall call Screening & Blocking device which relies on Caller Display ID being available on our phone line.

[snip]

I fail to see how anyone can be satisfied with such a device. Rubbish calls either use nonsense numbers like 0010055 or anonymous. If you use just a white list to receive calls, then how can any other genuine caller make contact with you? If you use anonymous reject then you will probably find that your local surgery or hospital won't be able to get through to you.

Get your money back on the device while you can. If you are really getting loads of nuisance calls each day, then let an answerphone take the strain and call back those you want to talk to.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Sep-14 12:09:51
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

What makes you think that everyone wants to give out their landline number so that all and sundry can make contact?

Anonymous caller reject works brilliantly for me. It doesn't block calls I want to receive because I don't want to receive any calls, end of story.

I haven't given anyone but two immediate family members and one close friend the number and it's ex-directory. The only other party that knows the phone number is the ISP/phone provider.

Not everybody feels the need to be contactable by telephone. If I didn't need the line for broadband I wouldn't have a phone line at all.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Fri 19-Sep-14 18:49:52
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

But do you get nuisance calls on your mobile? I'm in the opposite situation to you, my landline number is easily available, and there's an answer machine on permanently to screen calls. The mobile number is given out on a "need to know" basis, which amounts to family and one or two close friends.

Despite that I still get 'anonymous' junk calls on the mobile.
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Fri 19-Sep-14 18:52:52
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Wrong - As a Truecall user of many years, I can tell you they handle ALL situations. Zap lists for unwanted sales numbers etc, International no-number reject, that even the BT paid service does not do. Whisper function that intercepts calls asking them to identify themselves to name juat a few features. Learn to use one and never miss a wanted call, or receive an unwanted call again.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Sep-14 20:10:34
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

I can't remember the last time I had a nuisance call or SMS on my mobile. I may have had as many as three or four in the last year. If I don't recognize the number, it doesn't get answered. If the number is withheld, it doesn't get answered. I will then do a web search for numbers I don't recognize if the caller hasn't left voicemail.

Sarah

--

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to