User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 09:18:36
Print Post

bad internet for nearly 6 weeks now :(

[link to this post]

Hi All,
I have had a terrible time with my internet connection lately frown
Started losing internet about 6 - 8 weeks ago, poor speeds, connection going up/down so phoned Zen, did the usual test socket stuff but my connection was still pretty poor. Zen C/S talked me into buying a new router which I did and I still have a [censored] connection (can't even watch an online presentation this morning).
I have to say some of Zen's CS have been spot on and helpful others (like the guy I spoke to this morning) not so helpful frown
when I ask what is the problem I've got a new router, bought a booster and the new router is in the test socket yet I can't watch a 5 min presentation online I get "erm I dont know, try using a cable not wifi" mad
Have lived here for 3 years using wifi no problem, nothing whatsoever has changed in this house (except the heating going on 2 weeks ago) and yet my connection is becoming unusable frown
Why can't I get any help from Zen???
Standard User kadison44
(committed) Wed 22-Oct-14 10:52:55
Print Post

Re: bad internet for nearly 6 weeks now :(

[re: Helan] [link to this post]

If Zen can't see a problem and you're using wifi, then it's likely to be local conditions causing the issue. That's something Zen can't help with.

If your router and devices support the 5GHz wireless band try that, if not, try changing the 2.4GHz wireless channel to a less crowded one. There's a great app for Android called wifi analyser which will help you determine the the best/least crowded channel to use, but bear in mind that you should only use 1, 6 or 11 due to the way channels overlap. I suggest troubleshooting the connection without the wifi booster at first.

Did you buy and install any new electrical devices 6-8 weeks ago? What about your neighbours? If you're on good terms maybe you can ask!

kadison44

Edited by kadison44 (Wed 22-Oct-14 10:55:18)

Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:01:11
Print Post

[re: kadison44] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kadison44:
If Zen can't see a problem and you're using wifi, then it's likely to be local conditions causing the issue. That's something Zen can't help with.

If your router and devices support the 5GHz wireless band try that, if not, try changing the 2.4GHz wireless channel to a less crowded one. There's a great app for Android called wifi analyser which will help you determine the the best/least crowded channel to use, but bear in mind that you should only use 1, 6 or 11 due to the way channels overlap. I suggest troubleshooting the connection without the wifi booster at first.

Did you buy and install any new electrical devices 6-8 weeks ago? What about your neighbours? If you're on good terms maybe you can ask!

Hi,
Thanks for the reply smile
I have since spoken to a Team Leader after making a complaint as Chris didn't call me back this morning when he said he would. They are looking into it for me thankfully smile
Yes we have a new Netgear router which has 5GHz and we are on that band but I dont know the password to change the channel on the router so I'll wait for my husband to come home at lunch time and try that smile

I am on good terms with my neighbours so I will ask them as we haven't changed anything.

Thank you for your help kadison, much appreciated laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kadison44
(committed) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:07:13
Print Post

The password is usually on the underside of the router itself, unless it's been changed.

If you're already on 5GHz that should avoid most interference so it may not be worth changing the channel.

Of course I am assuming the connection works fine when you use a cable to connect your computer/laptop?

kadison44

Edited by kadison44 (Wed 22-Oct-14 11:07:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 11:33:30
Print Post

'Bought a booster'

What exactly have you bought? Wi-Fi boosters come in many flavours and the most common ones sold actually increase the coverage but half the speed.

First step should be logging into your netgear router to determine the connection speed and follow that by running a speed test when using Ethernet.

Netgear Router Statistics example http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html#netgear
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html post the link to the results page after, as the shape of the graphs can be important.

If the heating boiler is putting out RF that is affecting ADSL then the router statistics should show that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 13:36:20
Print Post

[re: kadison44] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kadison44:
The password is usually on the underside of the router itself, unless it's been changed.

If you're already on 5GHz that should avoid most interference so it may not be worth changing the channel.

Of course I am assuming the connection works fine when you use a cable to connect your computer/laptop?

Hubby changed the password but forgot to tell me what to! shocked

Yes I connected the laptop to the netgear this morning first set of speedtests were bad, so rebooted the router and now the speeds (coming into the house) are fine well as good as we will get living out in the sticks miles away from the exchange frown
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 13:45:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
'Bought a booster'

What exactly have you bought? Wi-Fi boosters come in many flavours and the most common ones sold actually increase the coverage but half the speed.

First step should be logging into your netgear router to determine the connection speed and follow that by running a speed test when using Ethernet.

Netgear Router Statistics example http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html#netgear
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html post the link to the results page after, as the shape of the graphs can be important.

If the heating boiler is putting out RF that is affecting ADSL then the router statistics should show that.

Hi Andrew long time no speak!! Hope you are well smile

The booster we bought was a Netgear WN2000RPT. I connected the laptop direct to the router this morning (via ethernet), did 2 speed tests both were appalling so I rebooted the router and got a decent'ish speed (for us here being so far from exchange).

I doubt our boiler would be sending out RF signals it's about 30 years old, very basic oil burner just turns on and off that's about it smile

Zen recommended getting a power over ethernet adapter so I just bought a TP link and am going to see if that helps. I suspect it is something interferring with the wifi signal here but am hoping the TP Link is going to help that [shrugs]

Am going to change the channel now too (now I know the password!!) smile

Thanks very much for your help/advice, if the problem isn't sorted I'll be back wink
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 13:54:01
Print Post

Any boiler that burns fuel will have a sparker in it and these can change over time to the point where RF noise emits that affects broadband see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/videos/broadband-inter... for video on how to spot RF noisy stuff.

The reboot sounds like what has happened is you had some noise and the broadband reconnected at a slow speed and the modem will remain at that lower speed setting until you give the router a swift kick via the power switch.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kadison44
(committed) Wed 22-Oct-14 14:27:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Helan:
Am going to change the channel now too (now I know the password!!)

From what you've now said it does look like an issue with the line and changing the wifi channel is unlikely to help.

MrSaffron is right, it's probably something causing interference on the ADSL frequencies rather than wireless freqencies. Check that boiler or anything else with a (possibly faulty) transformer.

kadison44
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 22-Oct-14 21:40:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

if it is boiler related:

As Mr. Saffron says, some old oil 'boilers' have a continuous (noisy) spark, when they are running, they also have a rotating disk (noisy motor) to throw the oil, (to mix it with the air).
as they run, it could cause the broadband to drop out and reconnect, and at a lower speed, however, line management will also notice this and may increase the target SNR,
hence even without the boiler running, it then connects at a relatively low speed,
find some line stats if you can, my guess is (without boiler running) an SNR of 15db or so, and this dropping to about zero as it starts.
again as Mr. Saffron suggests, survey with an am radio.

ps, you should be able to remove the electrical noise from a boiler, without replacing the whole thing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to