User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Oct-14 17:26:17
Print Post

Zen announce price increases...

[link to this post]

Just found an email in my Junk folder from Zen.

Inevitable but still a shame:
"We're writing to let you know that some of our prices will be changing from 1st December 2014, in line with the rest of the industry."

Saying "in line with the rest of the industry" doesn't seem like a good reason to give though!
I thought Zen were trying to be better than 'the rest' tongue

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Oct-14 21:06:31
Print Post

Re: Zen announce price increases...

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

I'm going to find out if I can downgrade from UF2 to UF1 in November, without penalty, and then be contracted into another 12 months on UF1 at pre-December 1st prices. Currently half way through my UF2 contract and have pretty much determined I don't really gain much from having the extra speed.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Oct-14 21:18:54
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

It seems the price increases relate to voice services and not data. That means if you are in contract on a fibre product and aren't bundled, you may be unlucky regrading without penalty.

Bundled users may be able to change both voice and data together but Zen will be able to confirm this.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Oct-14 21:19:14
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Looks like all phone packages are going up around a pound per month, which will still make them very cheap indeed for good service. Not that I have been informed, but info on customer portal.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Oct-14 21:45:27
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

It's the line rental increase that will affect me once my contract is up next year. I'm not fussed if I can't downgrade now; just thought I would enquire anyway (I'm on a bundled package).

If I am tied into the end of my contract, I'll definitely be downgrading to UF1 as paying £46.99 a month is getting a bit steep IMO, especially on a line where the full 80 sync isn't possible.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)

Edited by mixt (Fri 31-Oct-14 21:50:10)

Standard User Samadeus
(learned) Mon 03-Nov-14 09:46:21
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

My understanding is that since I am under contract (just had a new line installed) my prices won't increase for line rental until October 2015.

When I've got the music, I've got a place to go.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Nov-14 10:21:14
Print Post

[re: Samadeus] [link to this post]

Correct, which I already realised per their email and terms of conditions. My query was whether I could downgrade from UF2 to UF1, without penalty, this month, before Dec-1st prices. And it turns out (as I expected) that I can't (called them this morning and confirmed this).

No big deal. Will wait until May next year, and then downgrade once out of 12 month contract - £46.99 is getting pricey for a UF2 line that can't even hit 80Mb sync.

Edited by mixt (Mon 03-Nov-14 16:24:30)

Standard User Al1264
(member) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:03:28
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I got an email on Friday (31/10) advising of the price increase.

"Utterly scandalous" is all I can say - here's the proof:
1. BT are increasing line rental by £1.00 at the beginning of December, an increase of just over 6%, at the same time Zen are increasing line rental by £1.00, an increase of nearly 9% - not far off 1-1/2 times the BT (%age) increase!
2. Zen kindly state that they will not increase the line rental until the end of my minimum term but the sneaky blighters only impose a term of one month thus allowing them to increase my line rental immediately from the beginning of December!
3. Then, to rub salt into the wounds, they say I am entitled to terminate my contract without penalty, I'd like to know how on earth that is possible since moving my line rental anywhere else will cost me more - how is that 'without penalty'? wink

All I can say is if it weren't for the higher line rental, call connection fees, all call charges rounded up to full minutes etc. I'd be off in a flash. tongue

Edited by Al1264 (Mon 03-Nov-14 15:04:18)

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:41:56
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:
I got an email on Friday (31/10) advising of the price increase.

"Utterly scandalous" is all I can say - here's the proof:
1. BT are increasing line rental by £1.00 at the beginning of December, an increase of just over 6%, at the same time Zen are increasing line rental by £1.00, an increase of nearly 9% - not far off 1-1/2 times the BT (%age) increase!
2. Zen kindly state that they will not increase the line rental until the end of my minimum term but the sneaky blighters only impose a term of one month thus allowing them to increase my line rental immediately from the beginning of December!
3. Then, to rub salt into the wounds, they say I am entitled to terminate my contract without penalty, I'd like to know how on earth that is possible since moving my line rental anywhere else will cost me more - how is that 'without penalty'? wink

All I can say is if it weren't for the higher line rental, call connection fees, all call charges rounded up to full minutes etc. I'd be off in a flash. tongue

So, if I read your post correctly, the £1 increase in Line Rental, (the same as virtually all suppliers), is Utterly scandalous?

I'd move supplier - Oh, there isn't a better one - silly me.
Standard User Al1264
(member) Mon 03-Nov-14 16:17:06
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Yes, unfortunately, no better (or cheaper) suppliers out there, looks like I'm stuck paying an extra 9% for my line rental. frown

Zen still the best for home phone, just not quite as much (proportionally) as they used to be.

So, if I read your post correctly, the £1 increase in Line Rental, (the same as virtually all suppliers), is Utterly scandalous?

As 'proven' by my numbered points above.

Edited by Al1264 (Mon 03-Nov-14 16:19:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to