User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jjones
(regular) Mon 17-Nov-14 12:47:04
Print Post

Zen - FTTC - Self Install

[link to this post]

FTTC cabinet has finally appeared and there is a RFS date quoted as 14/dec so am wanting to upgrade my zen adsl to fibre as soon as possible.

Was hoping to do a Self Install but do Zen offer this? I found some posts nearly 2 years old statin g Zen were trialling it with their own employees but then the trail went cold.

If Zen do not offer self install which ISPs do?

Cheers

zen max 6400/343
Standard User r00ty
(newbie) Mon 17-Nov-14 15:29:09
Print Post

Re: Zen - FTTC - Self Install

[re: jjones] [link to this post]

I had FTTC installed around 4 or 5 months ago with Zen. They didn't have self install available then.

There is of course the wholly unsupported route... That is, you have the BT engineer fit the new socket and modem, and then either just plug in your own, if the master socket is where you want it or if you wanted to use another socket, remove the master socket "overplate" they install (you will need some other screws to hold it in). Then, use microfilters as normal and locate your own VDSL modem/router.

Standard disclaimers apply.

Zen FTTC (Full 80/20 Sync). IPv4 BQM SixXS Tunnel IPv6 BQM
History: Demon (Dialup) - Demon (ADSL Trial) - Demon - BE - Zen (ADSL2+ 8Mbit) - Zen (FTTC 80/20)
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Nov-14 08:57:11
Print Post

[re: r00ty] [link to this post]

I don't believe Zen have launched self-install FTTC yet.

In reply to a post by r00ty:
There is of course the wholly unsupported route... That is, you have the BT engineer fit the new socket and modem, and then either just plug in your own, if the master socket is where you want it or if you wanted to use another socket, remove the master socket "overplate" they install (you will need some other screws to hold it in). Then, use microfilters as normal and locate your own VDSL modem/router.

If you have an engineer installation, it's best to get the master socket moved to where you want the VDSL2 device if the engineer is agreeable, or to get a Data Extension Kit run from the master to where you want the VDSL2 device (should be free if the cable run is less than 30m and the cable route is relatively simple - make sure Zen specify the Home Wiring Solution on the FTTC order).

If you want to site the VDSL2 device remote from the master on an existing engineer install, I would argue it is far better to run a data only extension over good quality twisted pair cable from the IDC block on the faceplate filter (the top right item in MrSaffron's exploded picture, the block is arrowed yellow in the thumbnail).

Extending over twisted pair cable from the IDC block on the faceplate filter means that the extension wiring is filtered. If you remove the faceplate filter and use microfilters, the extension wiring is not filtered, also there is the possibility of someone incorrectly removing a microfilter.

I'd suggest leaving the VDSL2 device at the master socket if possible, in order to maximise performance.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JHo1
(regular) Tue 18-Nov-14 10:50:37
Print Post

I upgraded from Zen ADSL to Zen FTTC at the beginning of October. It was an engineer install at that time.

I'm guessing your only issue is having to wait in?

John
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 18-Nov-14 12:13:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by jjones:
FTTC cabinet has finally appeared and there is a RFS date quoted as 14/dec so am wanting to upgrade my zen adsl to fibre as soon as possible.

Was hoping to do a Self Install but do Zen offer this? I found some posts nearly 2 years old statin g Zen were trialling it with their own employees but then the trail went cold.

If Zen do not offer self install which ISPs do?

Cheers

Zen do not supply a "free" router and therefore your installation will require an Openreach modem to either hook into using a privately purchased cable router or dispensing with the Openreach modem for a combination device after the engineer has departed. Now you only get the Openreach modem from the engineer who visits your home.

Most installation engineers will ensure the service to your master socket is fit for purpose to give you the best internet experience. To achieve that they may carry out activities which you would be unable to do yourself. So to me, an engineer visit is a good investment for a trouble free future.

The downside to an installation engineer visit is waiting in for the AM or PM slot with it not being unheard of "no shows" and the disappointment of a contractor to service your needs. That said do stick with Zen since if you do have the need to call them you will at least be able to understand what they say!
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 18-Nov-14 13:37:53
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

This link goes someway towards explaining why some ISPs are reluctant to go the 'self-install' FTTC route:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/aaisp-a...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:40:25
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Most installation engineers will ensure the service to your master socket is fit for purpose to give you the best internet experience. To achieve that they may carry out activities which you would be unable to do yourself. So to me, an engineer visit is a good investment for a trouble free future.

The downside to an installation engineer visit is waiting in for the AM or PM slot with it not being unheard of "no shows" and the disappointment of a contractor to service your needs. That said do stick with Zen since if you do have the need to call them you will at least be able to understand what they say!

+1.

FTTC is far more sensitive to noise than ADSL2+ so you want to make sure you're synced at the optimum speeds when your service goes live. At least when the engineer is there you can ask him to investigate any problems there and then, eg visit to the cab to check on excessive cross talk.

Also not all contractors are poorly trained , the Quinn fella who installed our TTB FTTC service was extremely knowledgeable and only too happy to comply with any requests (eg he installed the master socket in a location of my choice and was happy to give me a 'spare' ECI modem to faff around with). Though we did bribe him with stacks of freshly made samosas and unlimited mugs of tea wink

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps